Column Lock, finally gone????

Posted by: 2KFRC5

Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 01:38 PM

It looks like GM has abandoned the "electronic column lock" with the following Special Policy Adjustment notice:

Subject: GMP06-029 - 05081 Special Policy Adjustment - Electronic Column Lock System

Anyone know where we can get a copy of this, or anymore about it?
Posted by: BruceF

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 02:02 PM

confused What makes you think they've abandoned the CL? confused From the title it sounds like they may have made changes to their billing/reimbursement policy or how they'll handle issues with failed locks.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 02:31 PM

Well, looks like it may be true. Here's what I've dug up, so far:
Quote:
MODELS:

1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION
1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EUROPEAN EXPORT
VEHICLES ONLY

DESCRIPTION:
PRODUCT SAFETY #04006C
DATED: FEBRUARY 8, 2006
IMPORTANT:

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006B, ISSUED NOVEMBER 2004. THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR U.S. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NEW INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006B SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

CORRECTION:
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and U.S. vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

On Canadian and export vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, Dealers are to 1) reprogram the PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Refer to the Product Safety Bulletin #04006C for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Owner mailing is scheduled to begin February 15, 2006.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO – Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO – Customer Special Order.

The Parts list follows:

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
89023816 Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (US manuals and all automatics except export vehicles) 1
88952428 Wire Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk (1998-2000 Canadian and export manuals & export automatics) 1 (If Req'd)
26056108 Nut, Strg Whl 1 (If Req'd)
26094767 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Canadian manuals) 1 (If Req'd)
88964588 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Export vehicles) 1 (If Req'd)
05694191 Ring, Strg Shf Lk Plt Ret 1 (If Req'd)

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 02:47 PM

Thanks Bruce cool

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 03:53 PM

Everyone should keep in mind that notices won't go out for a week. So, don't bother calling the dealers right away. It usually takes some time for them to get parts, schedule time, etc. Be patient and the end looks to be in sight.
Posted by: Chewy

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 04:13 PM

My CLB is working just fine, thank you!
Posted by: CNS

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 08:56 PM

Guess I'm lucky-- my 2004 auto seems to be exempt from this mess. Can anyone explain why in 7 yrs the "brains" at GM couldnt remedy this??

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/08/06 10:52 PM

2001-2004 autos didn't have the column lock.
Posted by: litnrod

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 08:52 AM

Well...here is my two cents...and I am not happy.

I own a 99 mn6.

In Mar 05...The CL locked up on me as I was leaving a restaurant. Car undriveable. Had to leave it there, overnight. Rented a car. The next morning I had it towed to the Chevy dealer. All in all I spent $900 dollars getting this thing fixed, because the column lock was not covered in the first recall. And the first recall was already performed.

?????

I argued and argued with GM...they kept putting me off, until nonetheless I got frustrated and gave up...I imagine this is what good customer service is all about. Make them wait until they give up or it costs us money (our time).

Now, they 1 year later, when they knew there was a problem for the past 8 years.

Hmmmm...is it worth my effort to pursue this yet again?

Is my column lock going to fail?

Do I need to get the new recall done?

Thanks for any input.
Posted by: 1999 White C5 Coupe

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CNS:
Guess I'm lucky-- my 2004 auto seems to be exempt from this mess. Can anyone explain why in 7 yrs the "brains" at GM couldnt remedy this??
Because GM / Chevrolet did not want to spend the time and money to repair or replace the defective column lock design used in the C5.

Many C5 drivers were stranded (including me while out-of-state) and I have no doubt many more would have been if the owner had not installed the bypass.

Remember - the column lock feature is a component that was included with the new car price. It is also an anti-theft device. GM's answer to the defect was to disconnect it for A4 C5's.

The entire C5 column lock design was too complicated, not thoroughly tested, and prone to failure.
Posted by: gben

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 01:28 PM

Let's hope they get in touch with those of us who are second or third owners of our cars! I was going to buy a clb this spring so this is welcome news. Too bad they wouldn't admit to their error years ago!

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by litnrod:
Hmmmm...is it worth my effort to pursue this yet again?
I would, as you've nothing to lose, and maybe upto $900 to gain. If you don't try, you'll never know.
cheers
Posted by: clearman

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 02:06 PM

If you are not the original owner, you can register your car on the chevy website and they well then send you recall information.
Posted by: Hotwing

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 03:08 PM

And the beat goes on, and on, and on.....And you wonder why people buy Mustangs and 350Zs. I have an 2004 A4 (which I love)and I still don't trust them....Its also my understanding that the replacement Delco battery that sit over the computer wiring harness is just as bad as the initial one... I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a new Vert for $63,244 PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!
Posted by: CNS

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwing:
And the beat goes on, and on, and on.....And you wonder why people buy Mustangs and 350Zs. I have an 2004 A4 (which I love)and I still don't trust them....Its also my understanding that the replacement Delco battery that sit over the computer wiring harness is just as bad as the initial one... I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a new Vert for $63,244 PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!
Is this true? The Delco battery in the 04 C-5'S is prone to leakage as well? Should it be replaced?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gben:
Let's hope they get in touch with those of us who are second or third owners of our cars! I was going to buy a clb this spring so this is welcome news. Too bad they wouldn't admit to their error years ago!
Register your car at https://www.mygmlink.com and you can view all open recall notices for your car.
Posted by: spdlvr

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/09/06 11:15 PM

Hi Litnrod
the second time they did my column they charged me $400 and claim it was not covered. Called GM customer service and was like talking to a pole went to another dealer and told them what happened and they could not figure out why it happend again ,I have an A4 ,I went back to the original dealer and service manager could not explain why it happend again or why it was not covered so he contacted the zone rep and they agreed to refund me half the money .I took half because I felt I was fighting a losing battle .
Once this recall gets on the way I am going to try to get my other half .Good luck to you .
Posted by: vette747

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwing:
PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!
$5,100 for preparation. Does it needs to be assemble as IKA furniture....

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 07:39 AM

spdlvr

thanks...for the encouragement.

I am getting new copies of my receipts today.

I am "david" and GM is "Goliath."

I don't think my chances are good...but I will fight the good fight.

Wish me luck.
Posted by: Playin' Hooky

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 12:16 PM

Hi, all!
I'm a little confused... if I had the ECL "fixed" on my '01 MN6 vert under the first recall, does this now mean I'll be called in again to completely remove the ECL assembly? Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with it, before or after the recall service was done. Should I expect a second recall?
THanks
Ted (aka Playin' Hooky)

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 04:22 PM

Hey,thanks for the registration info guys. Just took care of it!
Posted by: spdlvr

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 06:03 PM

Quote:
spdlvr

thanks...for the encouragement.

I am getting new copies of my receipts today.

I am "david" and GM is "Goliath."

I don't think my chances are good...but I will fight the good fight.

Wish me luck.
Posted by: dg99

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/10/06 08:26 PM

My '99 MN6, Column Lock failed a long time ago, just before the first formal GM Recall. I got them to pay me back for it, although it took 6 months to accomplish it. Then, when the recall was issued, they had to do it again as the first failure, they put in brand new defective parts. No charge for that one. That repair left something loose inside was making noise and the AC went on to full blast and couldn't be stopped, so they had to re-do that work again. Then, last year, was another recall which was also accomplished at no charge and whatever it was for. Then it locked up on me again here at work one night. I was able to get it unlocked and drive it home. Ordered, received and installed the bypass, no problems since. I welcome them issuing this last recall, if and when it really happens, to remove it totally once and for all.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/11/06 07:54 AM

If you already have the CLB installed your problems have been solved, so why give Mr. Goodwrench the chance to screw something else up. I installed my CLB before the last recall, so I never took my car in for that one, and I have no intention of going in for this one. hammer
Posted by: dg99

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/11/06 05:40 PM

My thoughts on it are that if the pin itself is still there along with the mechanism for it to insert it, then it is a problem waiting to happen. The CLB has the pin retracted and is not allowing it to be commanded into the locking mechanism, but I'm thinking that there is nothing to prevent it from going in on its own. I would rather it be removed totally. I don't know how its constructed or what preventative measures are in place to keep it from going in on its own, but I would rather not chance it. Take the darn thing out totally and hope that GM does a better job in the future.
Posted by: rapidity

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/15/06 11:50 AM

I am registered on https://www.mygmlink.com and have not seen anything about this recall yet. Any idea when it will show up?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/15/06 01:10 PM

I don't know how often that site is updated. Given that the mailing was only supposed to have started yesterday, and that it still isn't in dealer computers, I would think within a couple of weeks.
Posted by: DOOMDRIVER

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/16/06 10:34 PM

I wonder how GM has decided to exclude Canada from its program - Canadians get the same recall as last time which is worthless or worse. Thanks Goodness I installed the CLB
Posted by: Dan Argento

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/18/06 12:41 AM

Today I received a special Safety Recall letter. My story goes like this. I have a 2001 conv. In July of 2004 I experienced the steering column lock. Call Chevrolet and they flat bedded the car to the dealer and fixed the problem. I had no confedence it would not happen again so I purchased the Column bypass and installed it. For the last year I have been receiving card notices indication a Column Lock System recall has not been completed. I ignored them because I had installed the CB and read in the forum that there have been re-occurrance after Chevrolet fixed it the first time. Today The recall letter know explains that they will diable the column lock. That is interesting because that is what 80+% of us have already done ourselves. Any input on how to handle this letter? Should I write that I have diabled it myself so Chevrolet will close the books on my car and stop sending safety recall notices.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/18/06 10:58 PM

OK, got my letter today. I'm wondering if everyone who got the letter stating: THIS IS NOT A RECALL, had the re-programming done on the 04006 Recall. I didn't, and still get notices. I am the original owner.

Below is the content of the letter I received: Bold is my emphasis.

SAFETY RECALL REMINDER
General Motors is very interested in your safety and continued satisfaction with your vehicle. Our records show that although your 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicle is subject to an important safety recall, the necessary repairs have not been made. Please follow the instructions below to address this important matter.

In addition, we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that we've changed the repair procedure . To ensure that you will not experience a failure of the steering column to when you start your car, we will disable the steering column lock.

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems. When you turn your ignition switch to "lock", the system prevents turning of the steering system. When you start your vehicle, it unlocks the steering system. Your vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when you start your car, the fuel supply will be shut off if you try to move your vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked. If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will disable the steering column lock. However, PASS-Key and other anti-theft features will still be operational when you remove the ignition key. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

end of direct quote of letter

So now, I'm wondering whether or not, reprogramming of the PCM has anything to do with which letter you received.
Posted by: Smokensparks

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/19/06 09:54 AM

I got the same letter yesterday. The last recall work was completed, I have the documentation, so I don't know why they say it wasn't. Maybe because it didn't work?
Posted by: Dan Argento

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/19/06 01:08 PM

Dan, I beleive you are correct. All attempts to fix this CL problem have failed. Since this is a safety issue, the fix must be 100%. Since Chevrolet was not able to 100% fix it, they are issuing a new recall that completely disables the CL system. You can be sure Chevrolet monitors the C5 Fourm and knows that the CLB has been 100% effective. Since most of us have already completed our own CLB installation and I don't think Chevrolet will get a large response to this latest recall.
Posted by: glassman

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/19/06 05:10 PM

I hope this column lock issue will be resolved soon. I have the dreaded "column lock service" and "pull key wait 10 seconds" msgs. My column has never locked and the recall was done by the dealer. My problem is that my car will not move. The bcm shuts me down every time I move the car. I have tried everything suggested on every forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My car has not been movable in over 3 mos. Help..

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/19/06 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by glassman:
I hope this column lock issue will be resolved soon. I have the dreaded "column lock service" and "pull key wait 10 seconds" msgs. My column has never locked and the recall was done by the dealer. My problem is that my car will not move. The bcm shuts me down every time I move the car. I have tried everything suggested on every forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My car has not been movable in over 3 mos. Help..
Call your local dealer and ask for a free tow to the dealership in order to do the latest recall, I can't see how they can refuse now that GM admits that the lock needs to be removed.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck savewave

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/20/06 10:56 AM

I agree with Chewy. It really is their problem.

Welcome to the forum! savewave
Posted by: rogerd

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/20/06 09:40 PM

My MN6 went thru the recall last year. The letter I have in front of me (dated Feb 2006) says "this is not a recall", but definitely says that if I have a problem thru 2/29/2008 they will fix it at no charge.

Since I never had a problem before the recall and have not had one since, I am not overly excited....

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/20/06 11:14 PM

That's odd. Mine says "Safety Recall Notice" on the envelope and at the head of the letter.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 12:12 AM

OK, my letter also says "safety recall notice" on the envelope and "safety recall reminder" on the letter. Here's a question, for those of you who took your car in for the last recall, does the letter say it is or isn't a recall notice? And for those of you who didn't take your car in, do any of your letters say anything but safety recall?

I think the letters are recall 'reminders' for those of us who never had the last recall done, and an attempt by GM to CYA for the people who had the 'this will solve the problem' recall done.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 10:00 AM

ok,

just an update on my situation...briefly...

column locked up last march. $500 later...I have a new "column lock motor".

Now they issue the new recall. So, I gather my receipts and call up GM customer service. I mean customer "deferrment" department.

I explained to them that I paid $500 to fix a problem, that now is going to be completely disenabled. Why did I fix it? I asked.

I don't know, sir. Let me put you on hold for 5 min to investigate this further.

So.....Here is the rest of the conversation.

"We started a project for you."

Here is your Confirmation number.

We cannot do anything yet, as you have not received your notice of the new recall.

When you receive it, and have the new recall performed, we can then evaluate the possibility of some reimbursement for money spent back in march.

Hopefully, this will all take place in 90 days otherwise we will have to open a new file.

Thanks.

End phone call.

So, here we go again...the great run-around I abandoned last year because I spent way too much time on the phone with these people.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 10:01 AM

Looking at my letter again and it says Safety Recall Notice on the envelope. The letter says Safety Recall Reminder. I had the recall done in August 2004 and still have the paperwork. Is GM that screwed up?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 11:22 AM

litnrod,
FWIW, there is a reimbursment form included with the letter I received.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokensparks:
Looking at my letter again and it says Safety Recall Notice on the envelope. The letter says Safety Recall Reminder. I had the recall done in August 2004 and still have the paperwork. Is GM that screwed up?
This recall is different for the M6 than the previous two recalls. I'm not sure what you are asking.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/21/06 06:03 PM

Letter arrived today and return address is Recall Processing Center. In bold face on second page is THIS IS NOT A RECALL. Do not take your vehicle to your chevy dealer as a result of this letter unless I believe my car has this condition.Goes on to state that GM is providing me with additional protection in the event my column fails to unlock.This will be in effect until 2/29/08 and will be at no charge to me as long as a GM dealer does the repair. Tells me to hold on to this letter for future reference.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/22/06 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceF:
[/qb]
This recall is different for the M6 than the previous two recalls. I'm not sure what you are asking. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess I was wondering what the difference is in the two recalls for the MN6? confused
Posted by: 1999 White C5 Coupe

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/22/06 10:30 AM

Here is a link to the PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL bulletin #04006C and consumer letter (30 pages in PDF format):

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenfichtner//special_policy_adjustment_column_lock.pdf

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 03/31/06 12:59 PM

Quote:
ok,

just an update on my situation...briefly...

column locked up last march. $500 later...I have a new "column lock motor".

Now they issue the new recall. So, I gather my receipts and call up GM customer service. I mean customer "deferrment" department.

I explained to them that I paid $500 to fix a problem, that now is going to be completely disenabled. Why did I fix it? I asked.

I don't know, sir. Let me put you on hold for 5 min to investigate this further.

So.....Here is the rest of the conversation.

"We started a project for you."

Here is your Confirmation number.

We cannot do anything yet, as you have not received your notice of the new recall.

When you receive it, and have the new recall performed, we can then evaluate the possibility of some reimbursement for money spent back in march.

Hopefully, this will all take place in 90 days otherwise we will have to open a new file.

Thanks.

End phone call.

So, here we go again...the great run-around I abandoned last year because I spent way too much time on the phone with these people.
Well, I finally received my notice, dated February 2006, received the end of march.

Been on the phone with them, since the part of the column lock that failed on my car was the column lock motor (a part not covered by the recall), they have to investigate...suppose to get a call today from the gm rep.

Yet, I spent $600 with repair and rental car for this, I had a "Column lock failure".

Apparently, there is more than one problem with the column lock mechanism, the harness, the motor, the plate, the alignment...now they are disabling the thing, and I am out $600.

GM hasn't admitted there is more than one problem, they claim wiring harness only.

We will see what the gm rep says this afternoon.

Anybody else have this same issue?
Posted by: JWINK

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/13/06 10:03 PM

Wow I must be lucky. I have had the column lock recalled twice and no one ever asked for a dime. It seized twice on me so I had no choice but to have it serviced. The most recent lock up prevented me form driving home from the office but I had it towed the next morning to a local dealer and they were really nice about it and fixed it the same day. Now it no longer locks at all but I have been stranded twice and I'm glad it can't happen again. I enjoy driving every day so I miss it when it's gone.
Posted by: 66BigBlock

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/06 11:54 AM

We have recently joined the prestigious "club" of those who had the recall work performed and last month received the "remove the key and wait 10 seconds" message. The car was towed to the nearest dealer in April, 2006, and we did not receive another recall notice to date, and were charged over $500 for the repair. The dealer advised that this "special repair" was just for 1997 vehicles, but never fully explained why.

From all that I have read on this forum, it seems that the second fix should have been performed under the new recall notice. If I am correct, I will arrange a meeting with the service manager, go over the information obtained from this forum, and then demand the money back. We still have time to object to the charge via our credit card as a backup, but I need to be sure that this is the case. Does the February, 2006, bulletin cover our repair?

Also, if the dealer won't refund our money and the credit card chargeback does not stick, has anyone considered a class action lawsuit? Are there any attorneys on this forum?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/18/06 10:15 AM

Welcome to the forum! savewave

I just read the recall notice again and don't see any limit to 97s only. You may be getting ripped off.
Posted by: J

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/14/06 01:02 PM

I have another issue, my wheel also locked up last night, called the dealer this morning and I was told the recall has already been performed on this car. It doesn't make any sence, if the recall has been done the wheel shouldn't be locking up. The service manager didn't have an answer and wants me to tow in the car and will go from there. Any suggestions?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/15/06 11:01 AM

J...are you getting the remove key and wait 10 sec, or is it just locking up? I constantly got the wait message after the recall work, so they had to replace my wiring harness. Glad it didn't cost me any $. Hate dealers working on my car.
Posted by: J

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/24/06 06:37 PM

My wheel is Locked, I tried holding the wheel to both sides while turning the key and no luck, any chance if I order the bypass it will unlock the wheel and eliminate the problem?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/24/06 11:55 PM

No, the lock must be operating properly to install the bypass.

If I were you I'd get on the phone with somebody higher up the GM food chain than your dealer and ask them to explain how the recall was properly completed if your column is now locked up hammer

Once they see the problem (be patient it may take a while) get GM to pay for the tow and whatever repairs are needed to fix the original mistake (the crappy recall work, not the crappy column lock design).

Good luck savewave
Posted by: Guvnor

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/25/06 09:58 AM

Wow! All I can say is me too! I'm new to this forum so I'm anxious to here what you guy's have to say. I have a 98 fairway green conv. with 21K on it. I had the column lock recall work done this April. Ever since, when I put it in gear it moves about a foot and shuts down, I get the 'remove the key and wait 10sec.' message. banghead If I remove the key and hit the lock and unlock on the key fob it starts and runs just fine. Yesterday I took it to the dealer and they want to tear the 2 doors apart and look at the left & right door modules. confused I think it's related to the column lock work. What do you guys think?

Thanks! Guv.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/25/06 10:31 AM

Welcome guvnor! savewave

Like Chewy suggests, go above the dealer on the food chain if you want to resolve the problem. I actualy had a service manager tell me "it's impossible for the column to lock-up after the recall", and that was with the wait message staring him in the face.
Posted by: Guvnor

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/26/06 12:43 PM

Thanks Smokensparks! Great website! cheers

Before I tackle the dealer at a higher level, I'm gonna' take it to MY mechanic. He is a GM schooled C5 specialist and worked at this dealership before going out on his own. I doubt if he'll charge me $90 per hr. for diagnostic work. I do have all the codes the dealer pulled from the DIC for comparison. :rolleyes:

Guv...

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/26/06 03:57 PM

Hey Guv,

Just FYI, on C5's you can read the DTC codes yourself

cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/26/06 04:26 PM

Guvnor,
From your description I wouldn't be surprised if your problem is a theft deterrent issue. I'd suggest cleaning the key pellet and trying the other key to see if there is a difference. You might want to start another thread and post the codes to follow up.
Posted by: scottq60

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/29/06 10:36 AM

I've only had my 98 Pace Car since April. The original owner told me that the column lock recall hadn't been done yet. Neither had the seat belt recall.

Anyway, this past Tuesday, I got the "remove key and wait 10 seconds" message. Luckily the car is in my basement garage. I went to the local GM dealer and made an appointment for next Thursday to have both recalls performed. When I went back home, I tried my spare ignition key and did not receive the error.

I was going to order the CLB kit from Corvettes of Houston, but they don't take DISCOVER. I guess I can just send them a money order...

Should I get the recalls done or just cancel my appt. and do the CLB myself?

Thanks!
Scott

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/29/06 11:29 AM

Welcome Scott cheers
Posted by: scottq60

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/29/06 12:14 PM

Chewy,

Thanks! I'm gonna cancel my appt. and do it myself. Just got off the phone with COH and ordered my kit. Should be here Thurs or Fri.

Regards,
Scott
Posted by: krnlpnc

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/08/06 04:47 PM

After failing several times I had my CL replaced but at the time GM was not admitting to this being a defect even though it clearly was. A year later I got recall notice in the mail saying they would even pay for work already done. I thought great and sent in my info. Sadly due to a loophole in their reimbursement policy they needed a part by part breakdown on the invoice - of which my certified Chevy dealer could not provide. GM offered to pay for the $7 dollar bolt, but refused to pay the $400 of labor. After months of fighting I had no choice but to tell them where to stick it. mad
Posted by: zagger

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/13/06 09:30 PM

I'm a second owner of a 99 vert. My first exposure to this problem was when I backed up into two lanes of trafic from a driveway wondering why I can't turn the wheal. This was eight monts ago, since then I had the car lock up on me three more times. Acording to the dealer all recals were performed, needless to say I was left on my own. I finaly installed a clb device and that restored some confidance in me taking the car out. Now I'm learning that a CLB device can couse problems vith the BCM, in some circumstances the BCM totaly burned out. This is not something that happens after the clb instalation, I just wonder if I now have a different ticking bom in my car. As to the new GM answer to the problem this is not a recall and does not guarante nothing. I found out that there is about 50 different reasons the column can lock, and gm Special Policy will only adress only two or three. I love Corvetts but that love is wearing very thin with all the stupid problems built into the car and GM's arogent denial that a problem exist and refusal of assuming the responsibylity for repairs. English is my third language so please exciuse my speling, thanks.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/13/06 11:50 PM

Welcome to the forunm cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/15/06 09:58 AM

Welcome zagger! savewave If you have dealer issues you might try looking for a private shop that has a good Corvette tech, but check their background with other owners. You might also contact a local club for leads to a tech.
Posted by: zagger

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/17/06 11:33 AM

Thank you for the welcome savewave

Not to hijack this thread but can anyone recomend a good mechanic in San Diego or nerby area. Thank you in advence.
Posted by: Grandpa Bear

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 10/22/06 01:38 PM

My 2001 Coupe had the steering wheel lock mechanism completely removed by the dealer. This also involves some computer modifications.
Posted by: IzzyRI

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/19/07 08:24 PM

Posted by: IzzyRI

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/19/07 08:26 PM

Great information Bruce, THANKS...!
I just last week bought a '98 6spd. I am looking for any and all info related to problems/issue with this year.
Posted by: sapper1

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 03/04/07 05:47 PM

Mine just popped the code once DEC started, I had it disconnected so there will be no more probs for me
Posted by: Blackhawk

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 03/08/07 10:15 PM

My 02 Coupe just had this fault. The dealer who performed the recal work last August fixed this fault at no cost to me. Baby hadn't had any problems before last week. The specific issues on the invoice were:

"Customer states that steering column light is on
Checked for DTC's ahs none in any module tested column lock found has open feedback switch in lock motor called tac said is problem with recall part installed PI AIC3088F said to check date code on motor is 2032 is wrong replaced lock motor assembly then checked grounds G104 G106 G201 G202 plug battery per tac removed recall harness now works normal."

Parts listed are:

88965331 Lock 2.195 (qty:1)
89023816 Harness k 2.195 (qty: 0)

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Good news is baby runs just fine, and it didn't cost me a dime.
Posted by: doctrj

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 12:42 PM

Need help. I've paid for the seat belt fix before GM acknowledged it. Had a problem w/column lock B4 Gm acknowledged it and couldn't figure out what to do about it.After numerous recall notices I regretfully allowed the dealer to perform the recall fix. w/i two months I had the "steering column service" display come up and the column did not lock ,but the fuel shuts off and prevents me frm going anywhere. I've had the car towed to the dealer twice. what do I do !!tom

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 04:48 PM

Welcome cheers
Posted by: c5jon

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 06:36 PM

I just bought my 2001 c5 manual convertible 1 month ago here in Houston, Tx...My steering still locks when I turn off the car, so I am not sure whether the recall service was performed or not, but i sure DO NOT want to go through this...any suggestions how to find out?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 06:55 PM

If it locks then the recall has NOT been completed. You can have a dealer disable the lock or just buy a CLB here or here and do it yourself.

cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 08:25 PM

Is it easy to do it yourself, how long does it take?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 04/30/07 11:11 PM

Click here for illustrated instructions.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/01/07 06:59 PM

Thanks again chewy, will order mine as soon as possible...but one thing, what does he mean under FAQ'S....

"however I now prefer the method where the car/key do the unlocking like normal. There is no greater chance of a cigarette adapter unlocking a stuck lock over just using the key.
"

He says "car/key"....so your alarm lock/unlock will still work right...?? just wanna make sure smile

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/01/07 07:25 PM

The original CLB's available to be purchased included a cable that temporarily plugged into the lock on one end and the cigarette lighter on the other end. The purpose was to position the column lock pin into the unlocked position so you can install the CLB itself. It looks like he now preferrs to just let the car unlock the pin on its own. The alarm is not affected, the column lock is all that this gizmo will change.

Using a CLB, unlocking the pin is just the first thing you need to do, then unplugging it from the car makes sure it won't return to the locked position (no power = no movement), then connecting the CLB gizmo to the car fools the car into thinking that the lock is functioning properly.

For the dealer recall, they take apart the steering column and install a plate without any holes so the locking pin can't engage anything. Same effect, different method, but it's possible for the moving parts to still fail at a later date.

cheers
Posted by: You Vetteya

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/23/07 11:50 AM

I drive a beautiful 2001 torch red coupe angel Does this mean that anytime a GM dealer fixes something it is absolutly fixed? : Has GM never installed a part that was defective out of the box? Has Mr. Goodwrench never made a mistake? Is it GM's contention that customer service is allowing a customer to drive out of the service department with a potentially crippling problem because they are to arrogant to admit the possibility of a mistake? :rolleyes: Is GM's mission statement "like it or Lump it"? Should GM's new slogan be "An American Revolution in Inept and Insulting "service"? I feel like my dealer shot my intelligence a bird! I know this post has gotten long, please forgive me, I need to vent. Is there another inroad to getting GM to take responsibility for this design flaw? Thanks for any info! Good Luck fellow Vette friends! cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/24/07 10:33 AM

After the original recall on the column lock I believe a second recall came out that was only for those cars that had completed the first one. The dealer here ended up replacing the wiring for my CL, at no cost to me. Low voltage from a weak battery can cause problems, so be sure to check that out.

If you can't get satisfaction localy then move up to the company level and talk with a GM service rep.

I'm sure others here can give you more specifics. Good luck and keep us posted. cheers
Posted by: You Vetteya

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/24/07 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advice smokensparks! I appreciate your reply. I will do this. I will begin the search for a sympathetic service rep. Nice vert by the way. I don't see many c5's here in Alabama with the magnesium wheels. Hope you guys out in Nevada are not as miserably hot as we are in North Alabama right now!
Posted by: carolina cajun

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/24/07 07:03 PM

Friends...long time, no post. Its obvious by some of my previous posts that i know nothing about my sweet ride. Hell, I don't care. I have learned so much by reading this forum mostly on a daily basis..Mine is an '01 coupe.I'm in love with my car, but ready to divorce it...

I have just experienced my first "column lock." Happened in Raleigh last Tues. Car parked outside all day. 105 deg. temp. Started it after work, everything worked perfectly. Except, the steering wheel locked up. DIC says , pull key, wait 10 seconds...that didn't work. Friend says to disconnect the battery and wait a while. Then reconnect, blah-blah. It then worked fine. Same thing, same place the next day. Disc. battery, 1 hr. later i'm in business. Straight to the nearest dealer (stealer)...We had the original recall done 2 years ago here in town. Now the dealer says that recall wasn't part of whats happening now.

This new dealer says that our original recall has been done. Has there been another?? We were never notified if there was. The new dealer also says our problem was created by a "star" connector, and had corroded..

Now........how can a 40G+ car be disabled by a 50 cent go***m ... Is this what we all have to look forward to? Whats next? Is this lock-up going to happen again when i'm running out the country road ? Is GM so uncaring and cheap to put junk ass parts in our rides. I might could understand it in a GEO Metro or something, but, puhleeze...THESE ARE VETTES!!!!

Sorry for the long post, but i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my sweet ride before I or my wife die behind the wheel..Ready to get a nice boat. and join you all in the class-action lawsuit..See you on the water cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/25/07 10:31 AM

http://www.c5registry.com/Technical/GMP0g.htm

This maybe what I was thinking of. Not sure if it helps.
Posted by: redfred

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/14/07 01:22 PM

Hi All, new owner of a '99 and new column lock patsey. Mine was BCM lost some memory -- column locked up while moving -- GM directed me to Dealer -- Dealer fixed BCM and charged me -- GM says not covered due to problem cause. Still pursuing, and very interested in any class actions. If there are any other 'actual' fixes, I would be most greatful for the advice.
Thanks,
redfred

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/14/07 04:07 PM

Welcome cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/14/07 06:02 PM

Thanks for the response, Chewy. I will be going back to get this disabled, and I had seen the note (and link) for the myGMlink registration and actually filled it out prior to my post. I had picked the car up from my Brother's estate and the GMlink will not give me any info until sending in a copy of the registration -- somehow the VIN is not in the system or they need proof of ownership. As soon as I'm able to, will check out the recall notices.
I really was able to start the car, pull completely out of a parking space -- turning the wheel 3/4 turn, and the column locked. I was not moving fast, however was in gear and under power. The car did not shut off and I just backed right back into the space (cockeyed at that time) without being able to turn the wheel. So I did not get far and didn't test it again to see if I would be able to go further. When the flatbed arrived everything was free (just like the instruction to pull the key and wait...), however I still had them take it to the Dealer GM sent me to.
I have read all the notes I could find on this, and you're right -- no one really mentions being able to move the wheel first. I swear (more now since this happened and when it happened) that it did happen just as stated above. Do I have an exceptionally strange car? Love the car -- not the issue.
Thanks again for your help.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/20/07 09:36 AM

UPDATE
BCM has been replaced --- no new issues with the column for the last three days and 18 combined starts. Hope that takes care of it for at least the immediate future.
thumbsup
Posted by: wyatt

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/16/08 05:11 PM

I have a 2000 six speed with 20000 miles.In 07 it had the recall performed for the colum lock.Today the service colum lock code came on and the car is undriveable,i have had the car for three weeks.Has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/16/08 09:43 PM

Welcome to the forum cheers
Posted by: Rad

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 11/06/08 11:25 PM

An improperly installed battery caused several messages on my 2003...."Service column lock" "Service ABS, Service Traction Control" The "Service Column lock" repeated several times, but never locked up.

Root cause: USED car Dealer installed a new battery but installer failed to properly seat the positive terminal. The local Chevy dealer "missed" a voltage problem during a routine safety test.... He also failed to check the diagnostic codes. Also, the "service messages" appeared after the test.

The diagnostic display info. was very helpful. Thanks to those who posted. My diagnotic faults were C1232H, B2282H, B2284H, B0851H, U1064H. C1232H.

Once cables were properly attached and battery fully charged the warning messages have stopped. Also, my column lock works fine, but I'm going to check out having it disabled.

The dealer was ready to charge me for a new column lock motor install for $600. Nice... smile

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 11/07/08 12:07 AM

Welcome to the forum, glad you were able to get some info here that saved you $$$.

You can still by a column lock bypass kit for about $50 and easily install it yourself, or find a dealer worth a crap and have the recall done for free. FWIW, I purchased and installed the aftermarket CLB.

Don't be a stranger.

savewave

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 11/07/08 09:24 AM

Welcome Rad! savewave

Dealers can be, or should I say almost always are,a pain in the butt. You can always find someone here or at corvettemechanic.com that can get you the answers you need.
Posted by: 04blk6Mcpe

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/31/09 11:39 AM

I received my first "Service Column Lock" message yesterday, but the car starts, steering wheel turns and drove it home from work. I don't hear the lock retract or lock when I turn the car on or off. Could my battery be slightly below full charge?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/31/09 03:34 PM

Maybe. Do you normally hear the lock? What is the battery reading when the engine is off?
Posted by: Rad

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/31/09 04:11 PM

Run through the diagnostic sequence on your dash and check for faults. Look for any related to the battery. If there are NO battery faults then you should get the column checked out.

If there are battery faults then clear all messages, and fully charge the battery (with a charger). If the message doesn't come back right away then you probably have a weak or poorly connected battery, or a charging system failure.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 01/31/09 06:19 PM

Prior to this issue, I'm pretty sure I heard the lock retract when I started the car. Now it is silent.

The analog gauge reads 12 volts when the car is off and a little over 14 when it is running.

The DIC didn't turn up any codes.

I'll have the battery checked out or replaced at my friends shop. I guess I should order that bypass kit, huh?!

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/01/09 04:47 PM

There should have been some code if that message came up. Voltage looks good, but having the battery load tested is probably a good idea. I'm not sure if you need the bypass. IIIRC, the lock plate isn't there on a 2004 6spd. But, if the actuator is, I guess you could still have the fuel shutoff.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 02/03/09 12:13 AM

Good news! I replaced my AC Delco battery with a RedTop Optima and the Service Column Lock message is gone!

Now I have to find out about that actuator...
Posted by: 86Z51

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/09 02:29 PM

I wish they would bring the column lock back.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/09 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 86Z51:
I wish they would bring the column lock back.
confused confused

Are you drunk or did you have to tow your car recently? Being able to lift the rear wheels (no stress on the tranny) with a normal tow truck is the only advantage I can think of.
Posted by: 86Z51

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/09 08:46 PM

I was just trying to help push the responses to this post over 100. Looks like it worked!
Posted by: jnlitz

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/10 12:31 PM

I know this is really an old topic, but where do I get the bypass kit. If there was a link I missed it. Is the kit difficult to do or should I consult my local dealer to install it. I contacted my dealer and they'll do it if I have the kit? Seems funny they do not have it or can get it.

Jeff

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 05/17/10 01:13 PM

You can buy a CLB here , and there are great instructions for the install here .

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 05:46 PM

Need some help, I just got a 98 with 7300 miles and ordered the CLB kit to have installed, but haven't received it yet. Unfortunately getting in the car tonight I got the "service column lock" display. The car starts, the steering wheel is not locked, but when I put it in gear it moves about 5 feet and shuts off. I had to have it towed to the near by chevy dealer and according to their records the recall was already done back in 2001. Does it still need the CLB or is there something else that could cause this? Your input would be appreciated before I hear from the dealer tomorrow.

Jeff
Posted by: jrose7004

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 06:19 PM

Nope, it still needs the column lock bypass.
Posted by: leadfoot

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 06:21 PM

Check the condition of the battery? Put it on a charger check the tightness of the cables at the battery terminals

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 08:15 PM

The recall installed a plate without holes, so the pin physically can't lock into anything. The 'service column lock' alarm is due to the computer thinking something is wrong with the motor that moves the pin. Installing the bypass should get rid of that problem.

In order to be certain that alarm is what's causing the car to shut off you need to post the codes from the DIC, but that's probably it.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 08:18 PM

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I should have the CLB tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll plan on having that done while it's in the shop. I was also thinking about the battery, although it looks brand new and connection feel tight, but it does have some years on it even if not miles. The gauge always reads plenty of power and never had an issue starting, but I know a weak battery can cause some goofy problems. Many of you suggest the red top so I'll check into that. I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow (this should be fun). I'll post back what happens.

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/21/10 11:51 PM

Could this be corrected under the original recall or is there a time limit?

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/22/10 09:07 AM

Speaking of column lock here's a great explination
posted by C4C5 over on corvettemechanics.com. It's pretty long(30 min)but worth watching.

http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/4479-column-lock-depth-explaination.html

thumbsup

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/22/10 10:53 AM

Well I've just been taken to the cleaners by my local chevy dealer. I had to have the car towed there yesterday, and I had the CLB in hand and they would not install it because it wasn't a GM part. They replaced the (what ever it's called mechanism) for $430. Gave me a 15% discount, I'm convinced the $50 CLB would have solved the problem but without incurring additional towing and diagnosis and labor I was screwed. They said it would solve the issue but it probably wasn't a bad idea to have the CLB installed. The car has 8,000 miles on it, I'm totally PO'd.

Thanks for your help guys, I felt trapped, when the car won't move it takes a lot of service options out of my hands. I'll have the CLB installed Friday by someone I can trust and hopefully not worry about it again and chalk it up to GM crap.

Do you think there is any recourse in calling a regional rep or who ever at GM?

Jeff
Posted by: jrose7004

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/22/10 12:08 PM

That's the main reason that they're call "Stealerships!"

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/22/10 06:35 PM

Did you authorize them to do the work, or just ask them to figure out what was wrong?

If the recall had already been done, and that's the part that failed, you may have a legit claim.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/23/10 07:49 AM

Yes I authorized them to do the work, the car wouldn't move. I did call customer service and they were basically no help, no surprise there. I'll be sending a letter to Mr. Whitacre, and explain how pleased I am with his customer service and the "new GM" The recall that was done was to put a plate or change the plate that would enable the pin that locked the steering wheel. This item that failed was the solenoid or some sort of electrical switching mechanism, the switch that the CLB will by pass. Read lots of sights yesterday where the cars are being returned two and three times for the same thing and dealers are charging, not good pr. I don't hold my breath for any satisfaction of any kind.

I'll have the CLB installed this week and that should put an end to that issue. Repairs are one thing but being stranded is not acceptable.

Jeff

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/23/10 10:04 AM

jnlitz, you really need to track down a real honest Vette mechanic in your area. Check local club(s) to see who they use as a starting point.
Posted by: leadfoot

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 06/23/10 07:12 PM

Sorry to hear you got soaked Jeff. I admire your attitude about it. Live and learn and find a trustworthy pro to deal with as Bubba Sparks rightly suggests.
Bubba Sparks thank you for C4-C5 vid that explains the issue. I haven't installed a by pass. I had the locking plate(A4) removed but only had the issue early on in my C5 and it was clearly a low battery.
Why add the CLB when it can create an issue with the BCM?
Keep your battery charged and terminals tight and your Corvette on the road. Leave the CLB on the shelf. Just my opinion and I wish you luck with that cherry Corvette savewave

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/25/10 12:15 PM

My 1998 6M seems to have finally succumbed to the lock problem, Turn the key, get the "remove key and wait 10 secs" message. Do that and then get a Service Column Lock message. Car starts and can be moved, but the column is locked.

From reading the posts it seems there is a recall out there to essentially disable the lock. Am I correct?

Thanks, RogerD.

p.s. been a long time since I was here - building a house can be a long process, plus the car has behaved itself of late - until today!

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/25/10 02:32 PM

They remove the plate that the pin goes in so it can't lock, but the electronics can still fail. Click here for the recall info.

If it were me, I'd try to unlock it (jerk the wheel back and forth HARD for a few minutes) and put in a CLB . Note: the clb can NOT be installed while the column is locked.

If you do go with the dealer installed plate, call them before having the car towed, they may give you a hastle (which I would interpret as "We don't need your business, please go to our competition.")

cheers

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/25/10 03:40 PM

Thanks, Chewy.

I was surprised that no codes were set by this problem. The only codes on the car are the usual history codes relating to loss of communications to the door locks. In my experience, these seem to be there pretty much all the time.

Maybe living nowadays as I do in an area still reeling from the recession (nobody buying new cars), the dealership will want business - even if it a recall.

I'll call them tomorrow and post the results.

What was a bit scary about the whole thing, was that the car had started fine, and I was out of the garage before everything turned to s*** and I realized the column had locked, yet it still ran.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/28/10 03:01 PM

After a prolonged go around with GM and the local dealer, the following seems to be the case:

1. There was a special policy adjustment, which expired in 2008 whereby GM would pay for the lock out plates to be installed.

2. The local dealer had never seen the "C" version of the recall, referred to in this discussion.

I am still waiting for a call back from GM customer service, who had initially told me and the dealer that the work was "covered".

When the dealer looked up my car their reaction was that the recall had been done and their were no open recalls. That's because their systems only show recall 04006, no tracking of the B and C versions. The dealer told me that since these were policy adjustments, not recalls, I would not have been notified - even tho' the doc is headed "Safety Recall".

Not impressed - not with the dealer who seems pretty straightforward, but with GM - either the new GM or the old GM.

Btw, I did try without success yanking on the wheel to get things to come free - gave up after a ton of attempts, and a ton of "remove key wait 10 secs" iterations as well.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 07/28/10 05:50 PM

First off, if the recall had been PROPERLY done on your car, IT WOULDN'T BE LOCKED, PERIOD hammer

I hate telling you to go elsewhere, but post a new topic at CorvetteMechanic.com and ask what you need to say to your dealer to get them to honor the recall. Many of the guys over there are actual dealer service techs, so they should know what the magic phrase you need to say is. It may just be as simple as giving your dealer the proper 'codes' to punch in on the 'who pays for it' line.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 08/16/10 03:07 PM

OK, fix is at hand. I had called GM customer care people and finally after many conversations and escalation to various layers of management, as of today they agreed to (in their words) "extend the special policy adjustment to cover my car". The dealer called and they are ready to take it in. Their hang up was that Chevrolet showed no outstanding recalls, therefore they had nothing to charge the work to, and Chevy needed to authorize the work. And the B and C "recalls" were not recalls as such, so no records in the system.

So, I go out to my garage - the car has been sitting for a few weeks - and put it on charge. I also had to retrain a fob - new battery. Put key in, turned it, and THUNK - column unlocks.

Can't tell you how many times I had tried the pull the key wait ten seconds game. I can only assume that with the charger doing its job, there were a couple more volts in the system.

Having had these two unexpected pieces of luck, I am not doing any else risky today, just in case the gods want to get even.....

Btw, Chewy, the first recall was only to check that everything was working properly, and the lock was not snagging anywhere - and for a couple years since this was done, it has been fine. The "C" "special policy" is the one that disables the lock completely. Sucky way to fix anything, imho, but I guess they could not get a reliable fix.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/01/10 03:59 PM

Hallelujah! Finally got the car back from the dealer, with the "C" special recall done for free. Been off the road since July 25. It took until August 16 to get GM to agree to pay, and the rest of the time waiting for them to find the parts needed. Apparently there are none in the parts supply chain anywhere.

Lesson #1: If you want GM to fix it for free, they will. Provided you escalate and can quote chapter and verse of the "special policy" (many thanks to the person who posted it on this board) and complain that this is a real safety issue. In my case I emphasized that I had a car that would drive, but not steer and that seemed to me to be downright dangerous. I pointed out that I had come out of my garage, then tried to steer down my driveway, then found I had no steering.

Lesson #2: If you have an affected vehicle and the recall has not been done, start with GM customer service to try to get them to do it for free; the dealers will not help you, and the parts seem to be in very short supply. Another year or so, there probably won't be any.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 09/01/10 04:52 PM

I'm glad you got it fixed savewave
Posted by: lilmattie1224

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 10/07/10 12:21 AM

hit this little "service column lock" problem 2 weeks ago at midnight at the gas station. was there for over 4 hours trying to reset codes, check fuses, etc until i finally gave up and called in for a tow to the dealer. luckily the warranty saved my rear from the bill on that one smile

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 10/07/10 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmattie1224:
hit this little "service column lock" problem 2 weeks ago at midnight at the gas station. was there for over 4 hours trying to reset codes, check fuses, etc until i finally gave up and called in for a tow to the dealer. luckily the warranty saved my rear from the bill on that one smile
What was done to fix the problem?
Posted by: lilmattie1224

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 10/07/10 08:45 PM

I have no idea...i just left it at the dealer and picked it up 2 days later. They never really said. I was reading about it and figured it was probably just the recall problem for that model with the column lock.

Re: Column Lock, finally gone???? - 10/08/10 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmattie1224:
I have no idea...i just left it at the dealer and picked it up 2 days later. They never really said. I was reading about it and figured it was probably just the recall problem for that model with the column lock.
Does your steering wheel lock in place now? (with car off)