BRAKES

Posted by: CABINETMKR

BRAKES - 06/11/07 07:36 PM

I HAVE AN 85 VETTE THAT HAS A BRAKE PROBLEM
I HAVE CHANGED THE LINES,CALIPERS,PADS,ROTORS,AND THIS HAS NOT CORRECTED THE PROBLEM AS I DRIVE WITHIN 5 TO 7 MILES THE FRONT BRAKES START APPLING THEMSELVES AND BRING THE CAR TO A STOP
AND I HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF SMOKE AND HEAT COMING FROM THE WHEELS THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING ON THE FRONT BRAKES AND NOT THE BACKI DO NOT HAVE ABS AND I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANY ELECTRICAL TO THIS AREA. EVERY ONE OUT HERE IS GUESSING AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK NEXT PLEASE HELP mad mad mad mad banghead banghead
Posted by: BruceF

Re: BRAKES - 06/11/07 09:25 PM

My thought is the booster. But, I'd suggest posting this at www.corvettemechanic.com The techs there are more experienced and should have good advice.

PS Typing in all caps is considered YELLING and is hard to read.
Posted by: cossak

Re: BRAKES - 06/12/07 04:51 PM

Here is a possibility, I used to have an '87, and when I Would be stopped with my foot on the brake, the ABS would kick in, and keep trying to release one wheel. Turns out it was the a defective sensor in one wheel hub that kept reading lock up and wanted to release the brake. It might be the sensor doing the same to you, but the reverse action. the sensor is only around $30. worth a shot.
Posted by: CABINETMKR

Re: BRAKES - 06/13/07 08:59 PM

unfortunatly 85 vette does not have abs
Posted by: 86Z51

Re: BRAKES - 08/30/07 02:28 PM

If you have't solved this problem yet, the booster could be the problem: if you take the brake master cylinder off the booster (only two nuts are required), you'll see a rod coming out of the booster. This is what transfers pedal pressure to the master cylinder. It has a knurled knob on it which is a jam lock on the rod. If you loosen that and then rotate the rod so that it doesn't extend so far out of the booster, it might solve your problem. I was playing with this trying to reduce brake pedal free-play and ended up with a condition that sounded alot like yours. Adjustment is very sensitive, so make small adjustments.
Posted by: motorman

Re: BRAKES - 04/07/08 12:47 PM

did you replace the rubber hoses to the front brakes because if these delaminate inside they will cause this problem