Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1003 - 01/11/05 09:18 AM Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

Loc: Dallas TX
I'm looking into getting the Vararam intake for my 02 A4 coupe, from what it looks not many have it, but just wanted to check it out with everybody here first.

I've had a couple people tell me it cut down about .3 tenth in the 1/4, but I'm also curious about water getting in and gas mileage and such.

Anyone actually have Vararam on there vette, how is it? Do you have any problems with water getting in and how's the gas mileage effected?

Thanks for any helpful advise.

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1004 - 01/12/05 08:56 AM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
hcvone Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvani...
I had two Vararam systems on my last 2 Z06's, it offers the most performance from an air intake, and that was on the dyno, I have owned and tested, Blackwing (Donaldson), Vortech, K&N and Hall Tech (Sidewinder) and the Vararam was better on the dyno and the seat of the pants indicator. Get it you will not be sorry. My blue car was never in the rain, the yellow one was a few dozen times, never had a problem

Huntingdon Valley, PA.

www.hcvind.com

#1005 - 01/12/05 09:19 AM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

That's mainly what I've been hearing. Thanks.

But people that seem to be fans of other intake systems, keep saying I'll suck up water and "hydrolock". I'm assuming they've never had vararam and are just being overly cautious. I've not heard not even one report of anyone actually sucking up any water yet.

Do you by chance remember how many more horses it gave you on the dyno? I'm sure it'd be different for the Z06 then for a coupe?

How tough was it to install? Did it effect gas mileage much?

Thanks for the reply. It's my baby and I want to do her right.

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1006 - 01/12/05 03:01 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Josh,
Look into hydrolock. A daily driver in Dallas area with vararam is at risk for hydrolock caused by puddeling rain entering intake through vararam. Bunch of hype anyway. You really gonna pay $450 for an intake maybe worth 10 -15 HP which could be had for less money and with less risk to your engine? Is hydrolock covered by warranty? Nope. Don't bite that hook bro. Look at something else for awhile and think what else does your new vette need?

#1007 - 01/12/05 03:21 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

I don't mean to be dogmatic, this is the reason I posted this, but I've checked out all the intakes and plenty other mods I'll be doing in time, but you say it's just hype, have you ever had it on your vette? I know a few places that advertise them for $350 and vararam themselves sell it for $370. Not much more then the other good intakes out there advertise.

The people that have are telling me it's the most performance for an intake system and talking about .3 tenths off the 1/4 times?? And I've heard no one that has had a problem with it in rain. (nonetheless I will check out hydrolock and get back to you with what I find) Thanks for the heads-up, I'll continue to do more research.

Texas gets too much heat and not enough rain, only rains here a few times during the year, during the winter.

Anybody else have Vararam, what is your experiences, please let me know, thanks.

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1008 - 01/12/05 06:13 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

Leadfoot, I appreciate all your insightful imput on all the post and I did a little research on hydrolock, but never came accross anything mentioning vararam at all?? only Vortex and Halltech.

Hydrolock sounds like it should be a new ride at six flags, and it sounds pretty scary too from what I've read.

If you come accross a vararam horror story, please share it with me. I'll keep this short for anyone considering vararm or vortex intakes. I came accross some talk of hydrolock on this forum from back in 2001 and found it pretty interesting. More or less found out this....

Vortex uses the radiator shroud cut out and I can see how going through 4 inches of water too fast could scoop it up into the intake. All the horror stories of hydrolock either involved Vortex or Halteck, nothing about Vararam though. But I'm still searching.

Vararam uses the front bumper larger vents directly next to the fog lights (I'm sure you know that) and we both know rain won't do jack against it. It needs to be a deep puddle. The only way I could imagine this happening is either based on stupidity on my part to drive through an 8-12 inch puddle, or for a car driving by to splash a title wave straight into the vents. (seems unlikely but possible)

I plan on istalling the Z06 vents to help disipate a bit of the water as well.

Leadfoot, have you done Vararam and are telling me from experience or know someone with vararam that's killed there engine, or is it just caution.

I'm just trying to find out facts and stats, not too many opinions, I do appreciate your caution as you will help me make the best educated decision when the time comes.

Any vararam stories are welcome please?

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1009 - 01/12/05 08:37 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
HCVONE has tested the intakes and measured the Vararam as the biggest gains. Given that, what's the hydro lock (water ingestion) risk? The Vararam takes air from the two openings low in the front facia, as you said. Going through any depth of water would put these beneath the "bow wave" that forms when you drive through any depth of water, even though the water itself was not that deep. Your engine would then ingest water and lock up at best, or be scrap at worst. My memories of the Dallas area include enough flooding after heavy rains as to cause real trouble. So, if you buy one, don't drive through anything bigger than a decent sized puddle.

Equally, with an "exposed element" filter replacing the OEM airbox, don't open the hood when it's raining, or the water on the hood will neatly drain down onto the filter...

#1010 - 01/13/05 08:29 AM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
hcvone Offline
Full Throttle Member

I remember when someone claimed a Hall Tech caused hydro lock on their engine about 4-5 years ago, of course that turned out to be some owner that tried to cross a water covered road in Cali and had water up to the windshield, of course at that height of water a stock intake would have hydro locked too. There are many Vararam owners that live in Texas & Florida and drive their cars daily, I have several customers in Pa & NJ that drive their cars daily, as long as you do not drive through deep water, or submerge the front end of your car you will not have a problem. If this worries you then get a air intake like the Blackwing, you will give up some performance, but it may make you sleep better. smile

Huntingdon Valley, PA.

www.hcvind.com

#1011 - 01/13/05 01:43 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

It really doesn't seem like the risk of hydrolock is that great, but leadfoot has a point, and it only does take one HUGE puddle, (more like a pond) to drive through. Seems like all the hydrolock cases were extreem water levels on the road.

I've measured the vents on the front, (not the brake air ducts, to be specific) and the front vents at the lowest point are just shy of 12" inches, little more then 11 3/4" off the road with stock rims and tires. The bottom spoiler, (scraper) is closer to 3"-3 1/2" off the ground.

Big difference if you have a vortex with the whole in the radiator shroud.

Standard curb height is around 5-6" and I've rarely seen puddles go over the curb on the street I've been driving for the last 8 years in Dallas. If I have, I slow down to an annoingly slow speed.

(ROGERD, please tell me your thoughts on this next section.) I figure most of the splash from a puddle come from the tires (well behind the nose) hitting the water as well as possibly the front spoiler well under the bumper.
(worse case sinerio) If I've driving 35-40mph and hit a 6-8" puddle, I assume the splash would go outward in all directions, but wouldn't the noise of the vette travel past the splash thus the water not significantly entering the vents in the noise if the splash makes it past the underpart of the nose??

I still want to hear from more vararam owner please??
How's the install on it, anyone with vararam have water issues??

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1012 - 01/13/05 04:11 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

Besides water and hydrolock, what's the HP improvement on the dyno for the vararam intake??

I've also heard Blackwing will increase economy, would the same be true of vararam intake??

Is there a website that compares all the different intakes on a dyno. on stock vettes or something?

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1013 - 01/14/05 09:02 AM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
hcvone Offline
Full Throttle Member

I have not seen any mpg gains from any of the intakes I tested, I was testing for performance only. I do not know of any web site that has a test between intakes, my dyno tests came when we were testing long tube headers for the C5

Huntingdon Valley, PA.

www.hcvind.com

#1014 - 01/14/05 11:55 AM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

Is the install pretty difficult, I've seen instructions, 3-6 hours, is there anything tricky about the install I need to know, from experience, before I do it in a month?

I've still yet to hear a horror story about vararam, until I do, I'll continue to do my homework and lean in that direction.

Thanks for everyone's imput, I'd still like to hear from more vararam owners of there experiences with it.

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1015 - 01/14/05 05:15 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
Bow waves seem to occur on most cars in deepish water. Take a look at news coverage when there is flooding - every vehicle seems to generate a bow wave once some part of the vehicle is in the water. My guess (and it is a guess) is that the Vette spoiler, although it deflects, would cause that effect - plus the wide tires of course. I think as HCVONE says, just don't drive into anything more than a few inches deep.

#1016 - 01/14/05 05:20 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
JoshsVette Offline

This might be a stupid question, but when you say "bow wave" are you talking about that massive wave cars make when driving through a deep puddle at speed that seems to cover over other cars, or is it something else??

Sorry for the ignorance, I am enjoying learing about all this though, hopefully it will pay off for others looking into vararam also.

Mirror Black 02 Beauty.

#1017 - 01/17/05 01:48 PM Re: Anybody have Vararam?
rbxb Offline

Loc: Waco, Texas
Hey Josh,
I've followed this thread & other similer.
I think I'm gonna go Blackwing
cheaper than Varraram
can do it myself - less labor
Hydrolock non issue
I read a caveat tho re: opening the hood after a rain - the water drains from the hood onto a Halltech / Blackwing

Mike
Prev -'67 Vette Vert 327/375 Auto
'71 (4spd),73,75,77,T-Top Vettes
'70 Challenger RT 383 Mag 4 spd
'69 E Type Jag
'77 280Z , '72 Triumph TR6

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger