Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#28466 - 06/23/05 02:16 AM TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
Germanvette117 Offline

Loc: Wiesbaden Germany
Hi there,

iím dealing with TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
Itís my first bigger prob with the car and I started to search for ABS relays.
But at the usual places like fuseboxes it did find them.So i looked for the controlling computer, but also here I was not successful.
I learned that the TCS module, which I first thought is the computer, sits in the enginebay and is a ABS/TCS hydraulic unit combined with a pump.
GM was proud to reduce all the wiring, so Iím afraid now that my relays are within this module and it doesnít look, that it can be opened.
My question is if the is a place where a TCS controlling computer is hidden or if the PCM
does part of the job.
There are a lot of TCS codes. Every single ABS Hydraulic Valve has its own code.
Some owners accused sensors as a reason but I think they had ABS and TCS lights
for different codes.So my second questions is, has anybody had
a C1214 caused by something different than this relay.
Third: On the driver side of the module there is somekind of a valve or sensor.It is quit
big and the wiring leads to the Brake booster, meaning the wiring is not within the big cable attached to the other side.Any idea want this is for?

Thanks for you interest

#28467 - 06/24/05 03:24 AM Re: TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
Germanvette117 Offline

I love the net.

DBC-7 is totally different than the ABS-IV system it replaces. Gone are the gear pack and motor driven pistons. DBC-7 uses solenoid valves like everybody else, and the controller, valves, solenoids and pump are combined into one compact unit. The valves and pump are mounted in a metal block called the "Brake Pressure Modulator Valve" or BPMV. This is bolted to the "Electronic Brake Control Module" or EBCM that houses the controller, relay and solenoids that actuate the ABS valves. The unit can be taken apart so the BPMV or EBCM can be replaced separately if needed.

#28468 - 06/29/05 07:35 AM Re: TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
Germanvette117 Offline

To close this post (for now) here a summary.
I separated the EBTCM Module from the Hydaulic unit. It is naiv to think it can be opened
to change a relay or coil.
The lid is clued with a black clue like they use for windscreens or body parts.
The only possible way could be a hit from the open valve coil side, but this thing is really
Non servicable.I also think that the box is used for cooling of same parts, also clued in.
The car can be driven without the EBTCM, but steering is heavy, like on high speed.
Knowing it will take a while to get a new one, and to bring back the steering as used to,
I reinstalled the module.The active handing light was off now, and I had a lot of codes, which
Shows how deep the EBTCM rules the car.
After clearing all codes I found my C1214 as H and after a second engine start even the ABS light went off and since that time the car is like there was nothing.
I leave it to the reader what might have happened, but the plug and its pins had been disconnected more than once before, so the force of hitting and trying to open the module might have brought the cure.
I donít like this russian repair methode by a hammer and Iím not convinced it lasts long, but
the high temperature in the engine bay and the different materials, like box, clue and pins might move apart with different speed when getting hot and also a different way when they
cool down.
Over the years the materials gets tired and change their characteristics.
Itís a bid woodoo but for now I take it as it is.

#28469 - 06/30/05 01:19 AM Re: TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you have the ability to rent a corvette where you live? need i say anymore...

#28470 - 06/30/05 11:24 AM Re: TCS code C1214. Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open.
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Great post! Thanks for the information! You are brave to remove hammer and replace. Happy it is back in service. This site is made better when posts like yours are made. Please excuse our nusiance poster above he has issues.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger