Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102895 - 04/26/06 04:03 PM Storing my C4
vette747 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Montreal
My C4 is my winter beater. I stored her a few weeks ago with the battery tender. She is outside, the garage being for my C5. I just checked and the new rotors a put on recently are rusted badly. I guess I will have to remove them and use the grinder to remove the rust. I’m afraid the frame and other metal parts will be affected as well. I recall last summer, I had to do a brake job, remove the rocker panel, sandblast the frame and paint with a rubber paint and I was using it more often.

I believe it is better to store a car in winter time. There is less humidity and heat. Anyway, is there a way to store a vette in summer time?

I use it to pull the trailer for my dirt bike once a week, but the motocross season is not started yet. I just hang off the phone with my fiancé telling her that she should drive the C4 a couples of times per weeks.

Is there any thing that can be done other than driving the car on a regular basis?

I drive a Vette or I stay home.
Visit my web site at: http://pages.videotron.com/vette747/

#102896 - 04/27/06 12:29 PM Re: Storing my C4
cossak Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
i guess you could just follow the winter proceedure, change oil, fully inflate tires, wash and wax. keep off moisture. and cover. i think the sun would be the enemy in the summer months. as for rotars rusting, mine rust up right after a wash, and a short drive to warm and remove rust is all that is needed. same when after a rain or dampness in the morning. not much to prevent that if car sits. how about renting a parking spot at a condominion? i own several here in Toronto, and rent them out in the winter ($50/month) i am sure the someone would rent during the summer in Montreal. why not let your fiance drive the car during the summer? or depending on what you will be doing that day, take turns driving both cars.

#102897 - 04/27/06 10:04 PM Re: Storing my C4
vette747 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Montreal
Ok, the fiance will drive it a couple of times per week. She will have to learn not to drive too fast. And I will get a cover for it. I need it home because I use it to pull the trailer for my motocross on weekends. So it needs to stay home.

I removed the wheels today and the rotors were not that bad. I drove for a few miles and every thing was fine. I clean it inside out and my fiancé is going to work in the C4 tomorrow.

That should work fine.

I drive a Vette or I stay home.
Visit my web site at: http://pages.videotron.com/vette747/

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift