Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102933 - 03/04/04 12:56 AM 1970 Is it real or fake?
8kgold69 Offline
Engine Warming Up

Loc: sanford, fl
I have located a early 70 model with the ser. # below 10. I am trying to find someone who may have someinformation about the car that worked in engineering at the St. Louis plant and/or Warren testing grounds. I realize by now they would be retired but if anybody could help with information regarding this car I would appreciate it. Please help! Email me @ jordanlash@aol.com Thanks

#102934 - 03/05/04 08:05 AM Re: 1970 Is it real or fake?
MiCorvette-Tool guy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Michigan
What kind of info are you looking for? I work across the street from the Warren Tech Center and the Proving Grounds is in Milford, both in Michigan of course. Milford is about 45 minutes from the Tech Center. I have contacts at the Tech Center, all younger guys though.

Total 1970 build was 17,316, lowest since 1962. I believe this car was built in Jan according to my research.

hammer
1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, drilled/slotted rotors. Dyno'ed at 330 RWHP & 340 RWTQ.

#102935 - 03/05/04 09:25 AM Re: 1970 Is it real or fake?
8kgold69 Offline
Engine Warming Up

Hi

Thanks for your response. The built date is 0239 which translate to Oct 23, 1969. However, the 6th digit in the VIN is 0 which indicates the car is a 1970 model. I am a member of NCRS and I contacted them regarding the VIN number and all the codes for the car I am looking at. Their response is the built date and sequence number is correct and correlates. Records for the 4th car built for 1970 is dated 0229 which translates to Oct 22, 1969. According to GM and NCRS this is accurate and all the records for the 4th car are documented and registered. My concern: The car I am looking at has been stored for 26 years and the owner has advised me the car was used for engineering test purposes, If someone worked at Warren testing grounds during this time (Sept 69 to Nov 69) maybe they would have some knowledge of this car. I realize they would be retired but if someone could help I would appreciate it. A car like this someone must have some info, knowledge, photos, etc. It is also believed that Duntov tested the car. I would really like to gain some info. I would be willing to pay for any pictures and/or documents if they pertain to this car. PLEASE HELP! They can contact me by phone @ 407 920 2931

Thanks
8kgold69

#102936 - 03/05/04 01:47 PM Re: 1970 Is it real or fake?
MiCorvette-Tool guy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Michigan
I wish I could help you more but I do not think I can. Having worked at two different GM sites, Warren Tech Center and the Pontiac HQ which was the old Fiero plant and now is Powertrain, finding documents may be hard, not out of the question, but hard. You would be surprised what GM throws out when they move people around or refurbish buildings! I have gotten old vehicle press kits and other stuff people just go nuts for.

I will mention this to a few of my GM contacts, sounds like you need to talk to someone that holds old archived docs or works in a GM museum.

In Warren they used to run cars on a track but stopped that years ago and the track was ripped up. Everything is run on tracks at the Proving Grounds now. But that is not to say the car was not tested on in Warren and driven by GM engineers at the time.

hammer
1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, drilled/slotted rotors. Dyno'ed at 330 RWHP & 340 RWTQ.

#102937 - 03/06/04 06:58 AM Re: 1970 Is it real or fake?
8kgold69 Offline
Engine Warming Up

I appreciate all your help. The reason I have interest in this car is the last 5 digits on the VIN # 00006. If the information regarding the car was an engineering test car is true, then I believe this car is a part of GMs history and would be unique to have. Being a test car there had to be some old photos or info on the car. If you know someone who works in archives or can give me some contacts I would appreciate it. Anything would help. Someone has to know about this low number car. There is one other option that is unique about this car but at this time I rather not mention it until I can verify some of the back ground info. Thanks for all your effort and help.

8kgold69

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift