Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103231 - 12/09/04 06:31 PM 1986 corvette
Torreyst Offline

Loc: South carolina
well i am 16 and got ahold of 1986 corvette but i am disappointed to find it only has around 235 horsepower

what could i do to the engine to give it more power?

#103232 - 12/09/04 08:00 PM Re: 1986 corvette
86Z51 Offline

Loc: arizona
There are lots of things, but it depends on how much you want to spend. The first thing I would do, is find out how well the car is running as is. I would take it to your local 1/4 mile drag strip and see how it runs. If it is making advertised HP, it should have a trap speed somewhere around 94 mph or faster.

If it does that and you want to go alot faster, you might want to look into a crate engine and someother different kind of fuel injection system since the TPI system is mainly good at producing torque, not HP.

If it doesn't go 94 mph or you just want to get a little more out of it, then you should just get a manual and start with a basic tune up and start checking for things like vacuum leaks, restricted exhaust, etc.

The fuel filter is frequently overlooked because it is under the car tucked-up beside the frame rail and will really slow the car down if it is plugged.

Despite the fact that is relatively underpowered, the 86 was a good auto cross car and was actually faster than the C5's up until maybe 99. And a few years back, somebody put like 20 to 25 thousand dollars into an 86 C4 and finished 2nd overall in the One Lap of America!

#103233 - 12/09/04 08:13 PM Re: 1986 corvette
Torreyst Offline

yes well i am 16 and not having a lot of money

my grandfather gave me this corvette (cuz he has a 97 c5 as well) for my first car

the engine runs fine but i am also like i said not rich because i am 16

but thank you

i want to one day own a c6 they are beautiful car

#103234 - 12/10/04 04:19 PM Re: 1986 corvette
cossak Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
you could try some cheap methods first, do a compression test to ensure that all cylinders are within 10% at most. A K&N filter is a good investment, and ACCEL cap, rotor and coil is pretty good too. Also, for infront of the throtle body you could get one of those "butter flys" that smooths out the air flow in. Another thing I found strange, but worked, my car ran better with the AC delco plugs than with platenum plugs. These are pretty cheap methods, I did them to my last vett (87) and it ran really nice, and actually got pretty good fuel millage. And I always used 91 octain fuel. Don't go to radical, when comes time to sell, seems lots of buyers tend to stay away from heavily modified cars for fear of a butcher job.

#103235 - 12/10/04 06:25 PM Re: 1986 corvette
Torreyst Offline

awesome thanks for the help

now would it be wise to increase compression ratio and bore it out some more or no?

and what about advancing the timing?
or a new computer?

#103236 - 12/13/04 12:17 PM Re: 1986 corvette
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
NAH save your money. As above get it running as good as it can. The car has limits and won't ever be a real power brute. I would if I were you make it as fine a corvette c4 as I could. Get wheels tires and interior stuff. Paint and some modest power improvements but not major engine work as the car is limited from jump street. Make it nice and work your way up through the food chain. When you have saved enough get a C5. These cars have greater potential for power than c4. If you dump a ton of money into powering up your c4 you will never get it back. MAke it run good look great and save for a C5. Check out corvettemechanic.com for tips on your c4. Good luck, play smart

#103237 - 12/13/04 04:48 PM Re: 1986 corvette
cossak Offline
Full Throttle Member

good advice from lead foot. if you put too much money into it, basically it will still be the same vett. get it running nice, save, and upgrade. What you might spend on the C4 by the time you do everything you want to, you probably could have bought a good C5.

#103238 - 12/13/04 06:51 PM Re: 1986 corvette
Torreyst Offline

ok moving on to a new topic would trying to lighten the car o much? i know gas milage boost would be cool but can i really make it much lighter? i mean it weighs like 3100 (suggestions anyone?)

#103239 - 12/14/04 02:08 PM Re: 1986 corvette
cossak Offline
Full Throttle Member

go on a diet? LOL.

serious, the car is a good reliable driver, no need. and not really worth suping it up. If you want a power house, look for an early C3 with big block, and do that one up. or save for a C5. I got pretty good gas milage with what I mentioned earlier, and some decent performance too.

#103240 - 12/16/04 12:10 PM Re: 1986 corvette
MiCorvette-Tool guy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Michigan
Remove your spare tire and jack. Hardy a weight difference but you can do it and cost free. Obviously there disadvantages in doing this, but you asked. laugh

hammer
1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, drilled/slotted rotors. Dyno'ed at 330 RWHP & 340 RWTQ.

#103241 - 12/16/04 02:40 PM Re: 1986 corvette
Torreyst Offline

and i could also give it a manual transmission plus a gel-battery not a lead based one

#103242 - 12/16/04 03:32 PM Re: 1986 corvette
cossak Offline
Full Throttle Member

You know, you could drive all you life, and never get a flat tire, but the minute you remove the spare.... If you do, go that route, make sure you have autoclub membership! Think I once saw an under the hood blower kit, was only areound $1500. might have been by K&N. If you go to an older hotrod parts store, they might remember the animal. You don't get the high intake stiking out the hood, but you will still get the nice whine when you kit it in

#103243 - 12/16/04 04:00 PM Re: 1986 corvette
MiCorvette-Tool guy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Michigan
I would just concentrate on making it run the best it can at this point, if it does not already. It has miles on it and I do not know if it has had major things replaced on it. At this point you never know what could break on it and that would cost you then versas dumping money into it for mods. Save your money, if anything put a performance air filter and exhaust on it. A little more note and more air to breath in. Spend more time in keeping it looking good and detailing it because you do not want drive a cool car that needs a paint job to school.

If the engine ever blows then by all means stoke it out and rebuild. That would be the time to do something because it will cost you either way to get it back on the road.

Easier for me to say I know then do.

hammer
1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, drilled/slotted rotors. Dyno'ed at 330 RWHP & 340 RWTQ.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift