Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106162 - 11/13/08 03:12 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
I think the best thing the Corvette has going for it is that it makes money. I don't know how it's been doing lately, but traditionally it does well.

IMHO, GM would be best off if they'd just declare bankruptcy, renegotiate the UAW contracts, trim the many folds of fat they have, and THEN crawl to Uncle Sam asking for a loan. Any cash bailouts won't teach them anything, and I work in a tire plant that sends a good portion (if not most) of our tires to be OEM on GM cars, so I NEED them to survive.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#106163 - 11/13/08 08:13 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
I would hate to see GM go down, along with the many suppliers like where Chewy works. I mean that must mean millions of jobs. But I have to wonder where does the bailout money end? A lot of people are in a tough spot.

#106164 - 11/13/08 05:06 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I hope someone figures out a way for them to survive without simply throwing money at them and hoping for the best.

I read where a 50% cut in production by the big 3 would result in a loss of 2.5M jobs around the country.

GM says they can't even file for bankruptcy because they don't have the cash to keep operating though the process.

GM also said they don't expect Delphi to survive bankruptcy. If that is true, where are they going to get so many of the parts that Delphi makes?

And even if GM does manage to survive, what might happen to them if Obama renegotiates NAFTA, as promised? GM has so many plants and suppliers in Canada and Mexico these days. The added costs could sink them if they manage to stay afloat until then.

Lots of questions with few good answers.

#106165 - 11/13/08 08:32 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East
I don't see how our government can give AIG 180 billion and not give GM the 50 billion they are asking for...

How many people work (and would lose their jobs) if AIG went out of business vs...the 3 big three american automakers...?

I recently read that toyota, and honda are saying the worst thing that oculd happen to them would be if GM went bankrupt....

Reason being if GM goes bankrupt so would their suppliers... and since GM and toyota and Honda share suppliers....the foreign makers wouldn't have a plan to deal with production and the effected suppliers going bankrupt...

#106166 - 11/13/08 08:58 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East
John Smith started the day early having set his
Alarm clock

(MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am.

While his coffeepot

(MADE IN CHINA )

Was perking, he shaved with his

Electric razor

(MADE IN HONG KONG ).

He put on a

Dress shirt

(MADE IN SRI LANKA ),

Designer jeans

(MADE IN SINGAPORE )

And

Tennis shoes

(MADE IN KOREA )

After cooking his breakfast in his new

Electric skillet

(MADE IN INDIA )

He sat down with his

Calculator

(MADE IN MEXICO )

To see how much he could spend today. After setting his

Watch

(MADE IN TAIWAN )

To the radio

(MADE IN INDIA )

He got in his car

(MADE IN GERMANY )

Filled it with GAS

(from Saudi Arabia )

And continued his search

For a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end

Of yet another discouraging

And fruitless day

Checking his

Computer

(Made In Malaysia ),

Joe decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals

(MADE IN BRAZIL )

Poured himself a glass of

Wine

(MADE IN FRANCE )

And turned on his

TV

(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

And then wondered

Why he can't find

A good paying job

In AMERICA .

Y'all gotta Keep this one circulating, please

#106167 - 11/14/08 10:14 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
Sad but true.

#106168 - 11/14/08 05:52 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
GM less than $3 a share and Ford less than $2 got to go up options might be smart to look into.. we are in the perfect financial storm getting hit from many directions with heavy blows... batten down your hatches..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift