Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106147 - 07/16/08 10:03 PM GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East
After GM's recent announcement anyone think GM will delay the arrival of the C7?

GM had a similiar scenerio with the C4 and upcoming C5 delaying the c5 for quite some time.

I believe the C4 ran for 13 years because GM was in deep trouble..and didn't want to divert funds for a C5...

I say 2015 for the c7 release.

lutz recently said...niche vehicles are on the back burner.

#106148 - 07/17/08 12:12 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
yep I agree The C7 might not happen at all with the urgency of MPG performance pursuit and development of HP will take the rear if any seat remains. We are all in deep trouble and need to be paying attention to our nations well being. There are a bunch of nasty symptoms that continue to emerge. Mods for my ride are on a back burner. I am concerned about heating costs for my home this coming winter

#106149 - 07/17/08 08:20 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
I think GM will be lucky to be around in 2015, if things keep going the way they are. Even then the C7 may not be the car we would like to see, but a toned down version that gets higher mpg.

#106150 - 07/17/08 10:14 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
jrose7004 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
What do you guys think about the possibility of GM selling Corvette to some stand alone enity?

#106151 - 07/17/08 11:09 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

I never would see GM selling corvette..although it would be profitable for them to do so..

I also believe the c6 will live on longer than previously thought..

I think 2015 might be the year....for the C7 now as opposed to 2012...release..

I think gm should do a wide body (without scoops) C6 coupe and convertible..maybe add DSG tranny (which they will never do)

If GM wide bodied the C6 they'd sell for two or three more years without present day level discounts ...

I like the C5 and the C6...although I see a lot of guys spending 10 grand to wide body their c6's..

I'm like ...it looks dam good but not for 10 grand..

GM could charge a few grand over the base coupe and vert and sell everyone with minimal discounts...

Thats what I would suggest if they asked..(which they are not) lol

I think GM's recent announcement...means a few extra years before the c7 releases...(unlesss the C6 can't meet some safety requirement test as it sits now..

JMO

#106152 - 07/18/08 09:54 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrose7004:
What do you guys think about the possibility of GM selling Corvette to some stand alone enity?
Agree with JB's observations. It would make GM alot of cash, but it's not likely to happen.

I can see it now. Introducing the all new Hyundai Corvette. Just shoot me now and get it over with.

#106153 - 07/18/08 05:10 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
CNS Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: PENSACOLA,FLORIDA
J.B. -This might be a stupid question but what exactly is "wide bodying"? Are people actually making the car wider? I haven't seen this.

#106154 - 07/18/08 07:53 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
The rear quarter panels on a C6Z stick out a few inches more so they cover the wider tires on a ZO6. They also have rear brake cooling ducts. Many people are putting those rear q-panels onto their standard C6. Some also squeeze on the front fascia. IMO, for the $$$ they spend to do it, they should have just bought the Z to begin with.

cheers

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#106155 - 07/18/08 08:01 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

To me, GM seems to have so much 'excess' built into their company that they could probably make it without going chapter 11 if they just trimmed some fat here and there.

Since so many of the parts in a Corvette are shared with other GM cars, to me Corvette being sold off to a completely different company doesn't sound like it could happen. Now handing it over to Cadillac, that might be more like it. (A guy can dream, can't he)

savewave

#106156 - 07/18/08 10:23 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CNS:
J.B. -This might be a stupid question but what exactly is "wide bodying"? Are people actually making the car wider? I haven't seen this.
The rear fenders on the Z06 and C6 coupe are bolt ons.

Lots of guys are bolting off the stock c6 fenders and bolting on the rear fenders of the Z06.

The fronts fenders are more complicated yet again a lot of guys are doing either just the rear fenders or both the front and the rear fenders.

Then they swap in the z06 sized rims and tires.

Some vendors are selling fenders prepainted as well. Doing just the rear fenders is like 2500 dollars...the front seems to be more because the front nose has to be switched out as well. I don't remember all the details but for GM it would be chump change...even if the fenders were all in the same base material instead of exotic materials.

If GM offered the wide body fenders without the z06 scoops...and a set of slightly smaller wheels and tires..

GM would have a new hit on its hands..

Maybe call it the Corvette ss? All I know is guys are spending close to 10 grand to get the "look"

Its a cool look and GM could take advantage of it without downgrading the ZR1 or Z06..

With 436hp...the base C6 is way fast enough.... and it looks great...but next to a Z06 today at my health club today..

I saw the beautiful lines of the Z06 compared to the base c6 and the Z's widebody look was cooler...

#106157 - 07/18/08 10:52 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
CNS Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: PENSACOLA,FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally posted by J.B.:
Quote:
Originally posted by CNS:
[b] J.B. -This might be a stupid question but what exactly is "wide bodying"? Are people actually making the car wider? I haven't seen this.
The rear fenders on the Z06 and C6 coupe are bolt ons.

Lots of guys are bolting off the stock c6 fenders and bolting on the rear fenders of the Z06.

The fronts fenders are more complicated yet again a lot of guys are doing either just the rear fenders or both the front and the rear fenders.

Then they swap in the z06 sized rims and tires.

Some vendors are selling fenders prepainted as well. Doing just the rear fenders is like 2500 dollars...the front seems to be more because the front nose has to be switched out as well. I don't remember all the details but for GM it would be chump change...even if the fenders were all in the same base material instead of exotic materials.

If GM offered the wide body fenders without the z06 scoops...and a set of slightly smaller wheels and tires..

GM would have a new hit on its hands..

Maybe call it the Corvette ss? All I know is guys are spending close to 10 grand to get the "look"

Its a cool look and GM could take advantage of it without downgrading the ZR1 or Z06..

With 436hp...the base C6 is way fast enough.... and it looks great...but next to a Z06 today at my health club today..

I saw the beautiful lines of the Z06 compared to the base c6 and the Z's widebody look was cooler... [/b]
Thanks J.B.- Now I know!

#106158 - 07/19/08 08:08 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Corvette is Chevy they could never sell the flagship car of America.
As for the Z flares absolutely the best those fenders are smokin best I have ever seen cool
not 10k cool though but put them on from the factory oh yes

#106159 - 11/12/08 07:27 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

GM trading at $5 and change and Ford was at $1.25, today. Wow, who would have thought...We are in a really bad situation that looks to be getting worse. The C7 is far from the minds of GM right now and I doubt we will ever see one. I hope all the jobs can be saved if they go our situation gets even worse.
What do you think? will the corvette weather the storm? Will GM survive? Will our corvette's value drop to nothing? Im keeping mine whatever happens.

#106160 - 11/12/08 08:23 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

GM will definitly continue the corvette and extending the C6 run by a few extra years .......is good news to me.. ...(I own a c6)

The C7 will probably be delayed two years at most... (GM needs to cry poverty to get government help now)

#106161 - 11/12/08 09:15 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Just read an article that shares your view on every model except the Corvette, it wasn't mentioned. The Camaro will come out but no other use of the rwd platform will. The disappoinntment of the G8 was cited as contributing to that decision. The Volt will continue to develop but other new models are on hold according to the CNN article. Tough times

#106162 - 11/13/08 03:12 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

I think the best thing the Corvette has going for it is that it makes money. I don't know how it's been doing lately, but traditionally it does well.

IMHO, GM would be best off if they'd just declare bankruptcy, renegotiate the UAW contracts, trim the many folds of fat they have, and THEN crawl to Uncle Sam asking for a loan. Any cash bailouts won't teach them anything, and I work in a tire plant that sends a good portion (if not most) of our tires to be OEM on GM cars, so I NEED them to survive.

#106163 - 11/13/08 08:13 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

I would hate to see GM go down, along with the many suppliers like where Chewy works. I mean that must mean millions of jobs. But I have to wonder where does the bailout money end? A lot of people are in a tough spot.

#106164 - 11/13/08 05:06 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I hope someone figures out a way for them to survive without simply throwing money at them and hoping for the best.

I read where a 50% cut in production by the big 3 would result in a loss of 2.5M jobs around the country.

GM says they can't even file for bankruptcy because they don't have the cash to keep operating though the process.

GM also said they don't expect Delphi to survive bankruptcy. If that is true, where are they going to get so many of the parts that Delphi makes?

And even if GM does manage to survive, what might happen to them if Obama renegotiates NAFTA, as promised? GM has so many plants and suppliers in Canada and Mexico these days. The added costs could sink them if they manage to stay afloat until then.

Lots of questions with few good answers.

#106165 - 11/13/08 08:32 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

I don't see how our government can give AIG 180 billion and not give GM the 50 billion they are asking for...

How many people work (and would lose their jobs) if AIG went out of business vs...the 3 big three american automakers...?

I recently read that toyota, and honda are saying the worst thing that oculd happen to them would be if GM went bankrupt....

Reason being if GM goes bankrupt so would their suppliers... and since GM and toyota and Honda share suppliers....the foreign makers wouldn't have a plan to deal with production and the effected suppliers going bankrupt...

#106166 - 11/13/08 08:58 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

John Smith started the day early having set his
Alarm clock

(MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am.

While his coffeepot

(MADE IN CHINA )

Was perking, he shaved with his

Electric razor

(MADE IN HONG KONG ).

He put on a

Dress shirt

(MADE IN SRI LANKA ),

Designer jeans

(MADE IN SINGAPORE )

And

Tennis shoes

(MADE IN KOREA )

After cooking his breakfast in his new

Electric skillet

(MADE IN INDIA )

He sat down with his

Calculator

(MADE IN MEXICO )

To see how much he could spend today. After setting his

Watch

(MADE IN TAIWAN )

To the radio

(MADE IN INDIA )

He got in his car

(MADE IN GERMANY )

Filled it with GAS

(from Saudi Arabia )

And continued his search

For a good paying AMERICAN JOB.

At the end

Of yet another discouraging

And fruitless day

Checking his

Computer

(Made In Malaysia ),

Joe decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals

(MADE IN BRAZIL )

Poured himself a glass of

Wine

(MADE IN FRANCE )

And turned on his

TV

(MADE IN INDONESIA ),

And then wondered

Why he can't find

A good paying job

In AMERICA .

Y'all gotta Keep this one circulating, please

#106167 - 11/14/08 10:14 AM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Sad but true.

#106168 - 11/14/08 05:52 PM Re: GM in big trouble. Anyone think the C7 will be delayed?
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

GM less than $3 a share and Ford less than $2 got to go up options might be smart to look into.. we are in the perfect financial storm getting hit from many directions with heavy blows... batten down your hatches..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift