Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108097 - 04/10/11 10:41 AM HP on Dyno
Stan Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Southington, CT.
Dropped by my local Vette shop to see what was going on and to show the owner my new ride. He mentioned that during the winter, he had a Dyno installed. Knowing me, he said one of my first mods should be to install a Callaway Honker Cold intake and a Dyno tune. Cost would be around $1250. He said, he Dyno'd a stock C6 and the base HP (at the wheels)was 360. Then he installed the Honker and it went down to 345. After the Dyno tune, it went up to 400. I do not understand why it went down to 345 after installing the Honker. He has been working on my Vettes since my first C3 in 1980 and I do trust him.

Do these numbers seem right ??

#108099 - 04/10/11 11:54 AM Re: HP on Dyno [Re: Stan]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
It takes the computer a few miles to 'learn' about any changes that are made to the air/fuel mixture. If they did a stock run on the dyno, changed the intake while still sitting there, then did another dyno run, the car didn't have time to relearn the mixture, so it would have been at something other than the most efficient for the equipment installed. That's my guess anyway.

One thing I will caution you about. Changing the intake is OK (you can always swap back to original), but having a tune done to the computer puts your 5 year/100k mile powertrain warranty in serious jeopardy. Also, JMO, but $1250 for a 40RWHP gain seems a bit much.

#108100 - 04/10/11 02:26 PM Re: HP on Dyno [Re: Chewy]
Stan Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Southington, CT.
Thanks, I thought the computer would adjust for the intake change.

No, I wasn't planning on having it done. The car is pretty darn fast the way it is.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift