Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108185 - 04/23/11 10:53 AM 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7)
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East

2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) - Feature
25 Cars Worth Waiting For.

The pace and frequency of change to this most heroic of all Chevrolets can be charitably described as glacial, and our assessments of the changes, when they finally occur, don’t always jibe with the perceptions of the designers, builders, marketeers, and flacks.

For example, when the Corvette’s most recent major update came along for model year 2005, purporting to mark the transition from generation five (C5) to generation six, we characterized the sum of the changes as “Corvette C5 and 11/16ths.”

The members of  the Corvette tribe don’t refer to their baby in alphanumerics. It’s known internally as the Y platform and has been for decades. But that doesn’t keep the rest of the world from identifying the generations as C4, C5, and C6. Soon to become C7.

So, will the next generation merit the full seventh generational designation? Here’s what we know. Or at least think we know.

In the world of cars, perception of newness starts with what you can see. The Corvette’s looks haven’t changed much in the last two generations, covering 13 years, but we anticipate change in the C7 will be apparent at a glance, even to casual observers.

According to insider folklore, CEO Dan Akerson—GM’s fourth CEO since March 2009—attended a Corvette styling review and told design chief Ed Welburn that he thought the C6’s posterior was way too wide. Welburn reportedly said he thought so, too. As a consequence, when the C7 makes its debut in the fall of 2012, we anticipate slimmed-down rear haunches.

More startling, it seems certain that the coupe’s going-away view will feature a split rear window—à la the one-year Sting Ray coupe of 1963—though in this case it will be an optional feature. Chevrolet first signaled its interest in reviving the split window by outfitting the Stingray concept vehicle with one. Yes, that’s the one that appeared in the second Transformers movie.

We also look forward to—and fervently hope for—a thorough interior makeover. The C6 Vette has long been a respected member of the serious sports-car community, but its interior has been subpar for **just as long. Although interior dimensions *probably won’t change, materials will be up*graded, and the seats—strangely deficient for years—are expected to compare favorably with the buckets found in Porsches and BMWs. Finally.

The front-engine Y platform will be essentially unchanged from the C6, with the transaxle at the rear for optimized weight distribution. As a result, dynamic elements are expected to change very little—no bad thing—although we anticipate continued improvement in steering linearity and feel. The Z06 and ZR1 will continue as the mega-performers, while Grand Sport may become the base model.

There will be changes under the hood, too. Despite the probability of slightly reduced displacement, output of the Corvette’s pushrod V-8s—naturally aspirated and supercharged (ZR1)—should be about the same as that of current engines, thanks to new direct-injection systems. Also, fuel-economy ratings may show a slight uptick. But don’t expect a hybrid version.

Pricing conjecture is just that. We look for the base Corvette coupe to start at roughly $52,000, ranging up to about $115,000 for the ZR1. If all goes according to plan, the C7 should hit dealerships in fall of 2012.

#109458 - 10/16/11 05:50 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
jrose7004 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
I wonder if the C7 will be on schedule or delayed like GM normally does.

#109461 - 10/16/11 10:31 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

14 months and it should be launched.. 18 months at the latest..

Should be a blast. I hear its stunningly beautiful and about a tenth of a second or so faster than the base c6 coupe..

Both the exterior and the interior will be redone in such a way to lure corvette enthusiasts back into the showroom.

#109462 - 10/16/11 10:32 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Bloomberg's David Welsh reports on new C7 corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By DAVID WELCH
Bloomberg News
The cockpit is being embellished and getting better seats

The goal is to boost sales for one of GM’s most-profitable cars and draw more buyers to dealers.

“But if GM gets the styling on the next car right, it will sell across generations.”

He (lutz) preferred to wait until GM had the cash to build a car that would make a Corvette owner want to trade up.

“It’s a much bolder and more dramatic design,” Lutz, who still consults for GM, said in a telephone interview. “The new car will also surpass the fuel economy and performance of today’s car in all respects.”

Some buyers view the Corvette as a brutish car that’s all about raw horsepower and underestimate how well it handles, said Chris Perry, Chevrolet’s vice president of global marketing.

Regardless, GM executives say they intended to protect the Corvette, which was designed as a fast two-seater for sports-car enthusiasts. Since joining GM in May 2010, Chief Marketing Officer Joel Ewanick has used the Corvette in more Chevy advertising to elevate the brand.

“The Corvette is the icon of sports cars in America,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM-North America. “It’s our aim to keep it there.”[/

#109465 - 10/17/11 12:37 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
bucwheat Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Evans Ga.
Still wonder if it will look anything like the concept that came out in 09?

#109470 - 10/17/11 07:34 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Excellent topic as usual JB! I will watch these developments like a hawk. If not to buy one to be aware of the price impact on C5's and C6's. The depreciation is ridiculos. An 09 ZR1 in pristine condition sold for 72K at Mecum. A Ford GT 2006 a real beauty went for 157k. A 69 L88 coupe went for 556K. The value of an all aluminum engine is baffling. It was a perfect example but 1/2 millon for a 69 coupe yikes.
Meanwhile the C5 and C6 prices are falling like rocks. Great Corvette values, though. The 64 and 68 are very undervalued and are gaining in price. If you want a midyear these model years are very tasty..
ZR1 for 72k the first year was bringing 125K though listing for 115k...something about a 638 HP from the factory supercharged Corvette with all of the goodies that is hard to resist.
I wont be selling my next Corvette so depreciation works in my favor. Eventually, as the numbers of Corvettes decline the price will rise. Too many C4's although there is some up tick in the prices of these Corvettes especially the ZR1, too many C5 and C6's in an awful economy makes for a buyers paradise..... Jeez if only I could drive...Keep grining my Bubbas you are all lucky dogs with your ass in the seat of a Corvette...

#109476 - 10/18/11 09:33 AM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Good to see you are able to post up. Sorry to hear your still not able to drive a vette though.

Your analysis of the pricing is very indepth and its true... A c5 and C6 truly are undervalued buys.

I would suggest you keep healing and when the time is right for you...pick one up.

The ZR1 for 72 grand is amazing value if in fact the car has not been hit. Can't go wrong with a ZR1 as a preowned purchase..

Thats a car to keep a few decades.

JB

#109480 - 10/18/11 01:45 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
bucwheat Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Evans Ga.
Hard to believe the value of a ZR1 has dropped like that I have seen several on the market priced still in the 100k to 115k range.But they only bring what someone will pay!

#109484 - 10/18/11 04:39 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
I'm still waiting for pictures of the actual car

My '07 just hit 70k, so I'll be good and ready for a new one by the time C7's hit showroom floors. I seriously doubt that I won't like it, but I'd love to have some time to decide between a new C6 Grand Sport or the C7.

#109486 - 10/18/11 09:47 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: Chewy]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Originally Posted By: Chewy
I'm still waiting for pictures of the actual car

My '07 just hit 70k, so I'll be good and ready for a new one by the time C7's hit showroom floors. I seriously doubt that I won't like it, but I'd love to have some time to decide between a new C6 Grand Sport or the C7.

I don't know at exactly what mileage you sell your cars but it sounds like you'll still be under 100k miles on your present ride to make a decision..

15 months for a public release..and maybe a few less for us Internet spy guys!

I don't know if you want first year or second...but you might want to consider an early contact at your dealer of choice to see if you can negotiate a deal ahead of time..or be on a list etc..

first and even second year release of a new corvette tends to keep supply tight...

By the third year..its much easier usually to get a slight discount and availablity is even mre impressive.

#109504 - 10/21/11 07:34 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for the kind words!
Dropping the selection to the zr1, z06 and grand sport is a smart play..The ford gt hasn't depreciated because of limited production and a single model. Didnt know it was a lotus with a ford power plant. It is very cool considering it is a ford.
The price of the used zr1 is amazing and for what you get a tremendous value. The 72 k car was on Mecum, so you can see it for yourself. The show was in Dallas.

#109507 - 10/21/11 09:00 PM Re: 2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7) [Re: J.B.]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Old age must be creeping up on me but the roof capability and of course the better pricing would send my vote to the Grand sport out of the three..

Since getting my 08 I keep the roof off all summer long. For anyone else who enjoys open air motoring...that would be the way to go...(as amazing as the z06 or zr1 would be)

I just have been spoiled with this latest generation C6 coupe....

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift