Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110275 - 02/19/12 10:56 AM Tire Tester Problem
PHLYNLO Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Mandan, ND
I definitely could use some help on this one. I have a vehicle that is sending codes that tire pressure is low. That is not the problem. When the codes show up I get out my tire tester and the reading is WAY off of what the dash read-out was. So I got out another tire tester and the reading wasn't close to the other two. So I went out and got a third tester. Guess what! The third tester gave a reading way off of the others. How does a person check a tire tester? All reasonable help will be used and reported back here to this site. Thanks to anyone that can offer some help.
I have gone to 2 old-time (experienced) mechanics and the answers that I got both were: Yah i have been wondering about that for a long time now. Let me know if you come up with a good answer.

Love our 50th. Anniversary Coupe!!

#110276 - 02/19/12 12:34 PM Re: Tire Tester Problem [Re: PHLYNLO]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
The only way to calibrate a gauge is to have a known pressure source, but the only way to have a known pressure source is to have a calibrated gauge

Put the testers on the other three tires until you find one that reads the same as the dash readout on those.

IMHO, the best pocket testers are still the old fashion pop-out ones.

#110465 - 03/15/12 09:06 AM Re: Tire Tester Problem [Re: PHLYNLO]
lostpassword Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: FL
I popped $120 for two identical longacre gauges guaranteed to be accurate within 1%. You couldn't tell them apart on their readings and I was pretty confident that they were accurate, I can't say I agree with Chewey on the pop out gauges. I think you need to find two or three high quality gauges and check them against each other periodically. Gauges do go bad sometimes, which is why I went to my system.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift, Shag Finger