Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110944 - 05/15/12 02:02 PM Tranny and rear end service
Mr Jdaniel Offline
Taking a Warm Up Lap

Loc: Orange County CA
Any input would help... When I had my C5 Z I used to run Amsoil TorqeDrive ATF in the trans, and Amsoil Severe Gear with a half tube or bottle of Slip additive in the rear end. I was thinking of going the same route with my C6 Z. I still have fluid in my garage so Im not excited about changing lubricants unless it's neccessary or you guys recomend otherwise. I had great luck with Amsoil in my C5. Thx for the input guys. On a side note, Iam getting some chatter/clunking in my rear end on slow turns. The car only has 8800 miles on it, so it didnt get driven much. Im thinking thats why the rear end may be chattering a bit. Thx for the input guys

#110948 - 05/15/12 05:47 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
If my '07 was parked outside on cold nights the clutch packs in the positraction rear end would lock up until POW when I first started to turn. There's a TSB out about how they used the 'wrong fluid' at the factory for a few years.

The new GM lube does NOT need the additive any more. I got my fluid changed under warranty, did a few dozen super tight figure-8's in a parking lot to work it in, never heard another peep.

Your '06 may have the same issue as my '07 did, changing the diff fluid may fix it.

#110953 - 05/15/12 06:17 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Was the Corvette sitting a long time? With only 88oo miles it wasnt driven alot so the lube change and the figure 8's would clear it up. I'd do the 8's just to see if that gets the lub where it is needed. Sounds like you got a fantastic buy, best of luck.

#110955 - 05/15/12 06:38 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
Mr Jdaniel Offline
Taking a Warm Up Lap

Awesome, thx guys. Ill do the fluid change this week

#110994 - 05/21/12 02:17 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
Mr Jdaniel Offline
Taking a Warm Up Lap

Ok guys...On Saturday I put a dose of Amsoil Torque Drive ATF in the tranny of my C6 Z, and did the Severe Gear Amsoil in the rear end. I did add a tube of the Slip-Lock Amsoil treatment cause the rear end was chattering something horrible. Chatter is completely gone after a quick drive and some figure 8's. I have read posts that the slip lock additive is not necessary, but will it hurt anything by leaving it in there?? I plan to change the rear end oil out again in another 5-8,000 miles anyways. Should I leave the slip-lock out next time? Thoughts/ideas??

Edited by Mr Jdaniel (05/21/12 02:18 PM)

#110998 - 05/21/12 04:23 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
It depends on what the main oil you use requires.

If you use the old GM lube, then the additive is definitely needed. If you go with the newer GM lube, additive is NOT needed or recommended.

If Amsoil recommends the additive for the lube you're using, then use it.

#111000 - 05/21/12 06:04 PM Re: Tranny and rear end service [Re: Mr Jdaniel]
Mr Jdaniel Offline
Taking a Warm Up Lap

Cool, thx for the info

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift