Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#111823 - 10/05/12 08:45 PM C6 spark plug electrodes missing at 54k miles on cylinders 3, 6 and 7... C5 & C6 relevant
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East
C6 spark plug electrodes missing at 54k miles on cylinders 3, 6 and 7...
Thought I'd share with my breathern about an interesting finding today.

My 54k mile C6 spark plug electrodes were missing on cylinders 3, 6 and 7.

Changed the plugs today and now the car runs much more efficiently at part throttle. Its really a nice enough improvement that I would consider suggesting to to others with the opinion of improved maintaince to change out the spark plugs possibly earlier than GM recommends if you have an inclination of subpar performance.

It was a minor inclination (very very very minor) and the car still performed well ....still having all 8 cylinders running at optimum performance...is a nice treat.

just passing this information along to my friends here..

C5 and C6 relevant..

#111824 - 10/05/12 09:45 PM Re: C6 spark plug electrodes missing at 54k miles on cylinders 3, 6 and 7... C5 & C6 relevant [Re: J.B.]
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
That's not good. Were the originals iridium tipped?

#111825 - 10/06/12 11:46 AM Re: C6 spark plug electrodes missing at 54k miles on cylinders 3, 6 and 7... C5 & C6 relevant [Re: J.B.]
J.B. Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North East
Hi Bruce!

It was whatever the factory installs from the factory....

traditionally the maintaince guidelines called for 100k mile service for changing the spark plugs...but I was like....oh what the hell....lets change them along with the brake rotors and pads etc...

Low and behold there were no electrodes on the number 3 , number 6 and seven cylinders...LOL

I had noticed some part throttle sluggish ness over time and just thought it was me getting so used to the car etc....

Full throttle was always impessive......now its much much more responsive..

I'm posting this up just for any of my corvette breathern to consider..whether it be a c5 or c6...the plugs are cheap...(OEM specified ) so rather than wait....100k miles...to at least consider changing at 50k if you have the time etc..

The improvement is quite refreshing as I drive it now with all 8 cylinders firing properly....LOL

Its always a great car...I'm sure the spark plugs without the electrode tip still fired somewhat..Used to be we had little pucks on the c5 spark plug if I remember correctly but the C6 according to our resident expert tech went to a tip electrode...well...

5 had tips and 3 had bupkisssssss LOL

I'm happy because the car runs even better than ever..

and the stop tech slotted rotors and hawk pads are nice...Not the jewlry of the drilled stock rotors though...

In hindsight....for my friends...I"m not a brake rotor kind of fanatic...or at least I never thought I was...so I went with the slotted which supposedly are better for venting gases at the track etc...and won't crack around the holes under track condition driving like drilled often are rumored to do...

the hindsight suggestion...is to go with the slotted and dimpled so that you get the look of the drilled rotors..(which I didn't do ) I didn't think I cared but quite frankly ....on the road...or outside...I don't miss the drilled look..but GM was right...as I look at the car in the garage...the drilled rotor was a better cooler look..

Either way is fine...but I'd go slotted and dimpled next time...(dimples do nothing but give the appearance of drilled without the supposed....cracking issue at the track..LOL

Just my two cents for the day...

I didn't buy the stock GM rotors with the drilled holes because the price is double...YOu can buy them aftermarket for better quality for less....

Thats not an item I would buy GM and most of the time I like to...

No squelling, squeeking...and the dust is the same...and you can buy ceramic pads...from hawk for the same price...as the HPS but I didn't by choice as supposedly these non ceramic pads are closer to the Z51 pads from the factory..

I often times go aftermarket rotors GM pads....Pads being the more important aspect..

This time I went Hawk HPS and they seem great so far..

I can't complain that I got 54k miles out of the factory brake setup...so you can see...I'm not that hard on the brakes.

I could have just sanded the stock rotor down a bit and gone for the pads only but I just figured...I'm in there anyway what the hell...

The key to installing brakes is to properly cleaning off the metal filings on the new rotors before installing...(brake cleaner)....

HTH! Change your plugs sooner rather than later on the 100k mile service interval is my suggestion...

cylinder 3 , 6 and 7 on my car had spark plugs without electrode tips...

Could be a random seldom occurance but for 8 bucks a pop...why take the chance past 50k miles....?

Enjoy the beautiful day my friend..

JB

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift