Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#24463 - 09/18/07 03:43 PM C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
Brigitte Offline

Loc: Georgia
My 1998 C5 Corvette's windshield wipers will not turn off, or they will shut off in the straight up position. I believe that the rain had something to do with it. Because while it was raining the wipers would stop running, but if I turned left or stopped they would turn back on. But now the wipers stay on and run on slow and high, and will not go to delay or off even if I put the switch in those positions.
The only way to turn them off is to remove the fuse from the passenger floor fuse box. Can anyone help with a posible suggestion of what I can do to resolve this problem. Thank You Brigitte I also, just cleaned out the drains under the wiper motor, but still has not solved the problem. Now Cleaned, Dry, and wipers wont turn off or work on delay. help??

#24464 - 09/18/07 03:55 PM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY

#24465 - 09/19/07 09:34 AM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
Welcome to the forum Brigitte. savewave As Bruce points out it is most likely a case of debris clogging the drain udders. Seems common especially in humid areas.

#24466 - 09/25/07 09:06 PM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
mypewter99 Offline

Loc: virginia
I had the same problem. Chevy dealer explained to me that once the curcuit board in the wiper control gotten wet it will never work correctly again. Though mine should have dried out during the drought this spring, but the wipers would come on or quit with moving the wiper switch.

#24467 - 10/23/07 12:50 PM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
Brigitte Offline

Loc: Georgia
Thanks so much for all your responses. I replaced the computer on the bottom side of the wiper motor, and now it works great!
Thanks again for all your help. Brigitte

#24468 - 07/07/08 01:19 PM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
Geno Offline

Loc: Boston
Great job on the udders. Had this problem last week and you hit it right on the mark. One point for others that have the problem. There is no need to purchase a new electronics board. Remove the three screws that hold the cover with the board in place and remove the cover. Wash the board in clear water and then wash it again with isoproply alcohol. Finally bake the board in your oven at 200 degrees fahrenheit for six hours. Be sure to blow all the water out of the connector on the cable. Reassemble and you will find that everything works just fine.

#24469 - 07/07/08 05:43 PM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning
bados Offline

Loc: South Florida
Welcome to the forum you guys. Sometimes things "that go bump in the night" on Vettes are strange. Glad you got it fixed.
2001 Corvette Convertible, Navy Blue Metalic, Grey Interior, White Top, Automatic, Z51, Performance Axle Ratio 3:15, Borla X Pipe, Borla Quad 4" Stingers, Blackwing, Tuned and all the bells and whistles.

2003 Ford Thunderbird Convertible, White, Black Hard top, Red/Black Interior

#113909 - 08/17/19 01:34 AM Re: C5 Corvette wipers are malfunctioning [Re: Brigitte]
SAG Offline
Just Started the Engine

MY C5 wipers went crazy so I logon took Brigitte advise, just ordered the new part... Thanks, Brigitte!

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger