Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113932 - 05/27/20 08:22 PM 2004 Auto Transmission Quirk
Stuffeshead Offline
Just Started the Engine

Hi, guys,

New here, so please be gentle. My wife is the Corvette owner/driver. I support her need for speed, but I'm not a mechanic. I'm just hoping that someone here can recognize what I'm describing as something that's common or easily diagnosed.

We had a C4 ('91) coupe and sold it a little while back to move up a generation. Recently, we bought a C5 (2004 Le Mans Commemorative Edition) convertible. Immediately after we bought it, we started having problems with oil leaks (dealer did a good job snookering us - my advice is to avoid Corvette Warehouse in Dallas like the plague). So we paid a reputable mechanic to do almost $2,500 of work changing seals and gaskets. One of those was the rear main seal.

Now, ever since they did the work on the seal, we have a new and weird quirk in the transmission. The car is an automatic. When accelerating through 40-50 at a moderate pace, the transmission starts "hunting" between 3rd and 4th gear. It almost feels like a fuel filter problem with little bumps and hiccups in the tranny. But I can peg the speed at 48, and it's near constant. As soon as you cross 50, it goes back to normal driving without a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#113935 - 05/28/20 08:19 PM Re: 2004 Auto Transmission Quirk [Re: Stuffeshead]
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I would suggest reposting this at https://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/ They have factory trained techs that will be better able to help.

#113936 - 05/29/20 09:48 AM Re: 2004 Auto Transmission Quirk [Re: Stuffeshead]
Stuffeshead Offline
Just Started the Engine

Hey, thanks! Didn't even know about that site. I'll definitely check with them over there.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger