Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113895 - 04/23/19 04:43 AM Thoughts on Corvette C5
elysse77 Offline
Just Started the Engine

Hello everyone,

Looking to purchase a Z06 as I've found a couple under my $20,000 budget. Is it expensive to maintain? Any problems? Is gas going to be expensive? Does it burn fuel like crazy?
I've seen many people post here about wanting to buy fast cars but people who comment are against it. What 'experience' must you have to be qualified to drive a fast sports car? Like should I have experience driving other fast cars? How many years of driving experience? or anything else like that.

Thank you!:)

Edited by BruceF (12/27/19 12:36 PM)

#113896 - 04/23/19 10:18 PM Re: Thoughts on Corvette C5 [Re: elysse77]
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
If there are no mechanical or electrical issues, maintenance is relatively straightforward fluid changes, filters, brakes, etc. Only a few hundred dollars a year if you are doing things yourself. If things start breaking, some can be expensive. But, that's common with most 15-20 year old cars.

Gas is 91 octane. Figure around 15-20 city and around 30 highway depending on how you drive.

Getting a fast car means things happen really fast. It's best to work your way up in learning to control the car rather than just flooring it every chance you get. Consider an SCCA AutoX to learn better car control in a safe environment.

#113974 - 07/01/21 06:02 AM Re: Thoughts on Corvette C5 [Re: elysse77]
saltbayfive Offline
Just Started the Engine

The Chevrolet Corvette C5 or the performance model Z06 C5, a few generations removed from the current C7, is a good middle-ground pick, fast off the line and generally available for between $20,000 and $25,000. It boasts a powerful racing legacy, being the first Corvette to win the LeMans.

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger