Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108419 - 05/24/11 03:17 PM Window problem
Raymond Offline
Just Started the Engine

Loc: UK
Hi guys I seem to have a problem with the passengers side window,it wont go down.When I operate the swich to operate the window all I get is a clicking noise from inside the passengers door and the window does not operate,any ideas to what the problem may be.I had this problem a couple of months ago but slight pressure on the top of the window and everything was fine,I just thought it was lack of use but this does not seem to be working this time,thanks guys.

#108420 - 05/24/11 04:57 PM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
It's related to lack of use. After a while the brushes inside the window motor get a film built up on them, so they no longer pass electricity through them. Most of the time you can get it moving again by SLAMMING the door WHILE HOLDING the button for the window to go down. If it doesn't work after five good slams you'll have to take the door skin off and hit the motor directly. Once it starts moving, run it up/down 5 times and it should be fine (unless you park it for the next 6 months).

#108423 - 05/25/11 12:48 AM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yep what doctor Chew said! I made a habit of running the windows up and down everytime I was in the Corvette. Best of luck

#108426 - 05/25/11 05:35 AM Re: Window problem [Re: leadfoot]
Raymond Offline
Just Started the Engine

Hi guys have tried what you suggested but still the window won't operate.What is involved in taking the interior door skin off and how do I go about it without damaging the skin or the interior.I take it because I am getting the clicking sound from inside the door that the module is operating and allowing power to get to the motor.Where abouts is the module situated.

#108431 - 05/25/11 04:22 PM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
First there are 2 screws under the door pull hidden by that tab.
Then around the perimeter take a putty knife and gently pry the christmas tree fateners loose. The tabs and the trees are flimsey so caution and gentle need to be on your mind. Once loose lift up from the bottom as there is a lip at the top and pull away. Dont pull far, as there are wires that do not need to be disconnected.
Inside of the door lies the motor. Tap it with a hammer several times lightly. Try the button. Increase the firmness if no result. It will resume function. Not hard just do it gently and slowly take your time to avoid having to replace fasterners. Be prepared to support the panel so it doesn't dangle or get damaged.

Edited by leadfoot (05/25/11 04:24 PM)

#108438 - 05/25/11 08:43 PM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
Click here for illustrated indtructions. Be ready for a nasty noise when you first pull the skin away, it sounds like you just broke something really expensive, but that's supposed to happen.

#108446 - 05/26/11 10:33 AM Re: Window problem [Re: Chewy]
Raymond Offline
Just Started the Engine

Thanks guys for all your help,window now operating.

#108447 - 05/26/11 12:09 PM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
bucwheat Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Evans Ga.
Good news

#114000 - 11/17/21 01:04 PM Re: Window problem [Re: Raymond]
JD98vet Offline
Just Started the Engine

Both my windows stopped going down. The passenger side was fixed with the slamming method. The drivers side as suggested on another forum I removed the small cover behind the door handle exposing the two screws and then put a screw driver one one of the screws and banged it with a hammer while having someone toggle the up down switch and it worked. The screwdriver method seems more effective and may have less trauma to the door. Either way it worked!!

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger