Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6719 - 02/08/06 01:38 PM Column Lock, finally gone????
2KFRC5 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Central Calif. coast
It looks like GM has abandoned the "electronic column lock" with the following Special Policy Adjustment notice:

Subject: GMP06-029 - 05081 Special Policy Adjustment - Electronic Column Lock System

Anyone know where we can get a copy of this, or anymore about it?

#6720 - 02/08/06 02:02 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
confused What makes you think they've abandoned the CL? confused From the title it sounds like they may have made changes to their billing/reimbursement policy or how they'll handle issues with failed locks.

#6721 - 02/08/06 02:31 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Well, looks like it may be true. Here's what I've dug up, so far:
Quote:
MODELS:

1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION
1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EUROPEAN EXPORT
VEHICLES ONLY

DESCRIPTION:
PRODUCT SAFETY #04006C
DATED: FEBRUARY 8, 2006
IMPORTANT:

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006B, ISSUED NOVEMBER 2004. THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR U.S. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NEW INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006B SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

CORRECTION:
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and U.S. vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

On Canadian and export vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, Dealers are to 1) reprogram the PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Refer to the Product Safety Bulletin #04006C for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Owner mailing is scheduled to begin February 15, 2006.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO – Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO – Customer Special Order.

The Parts list follows:

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
89023816 Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (US manuals and all automatics except export vehicles) 1
88952428 Wire Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk (1998-2000 Canadian and export manuals & export automatics) 1 (If Req'd)
26056108 Nut, Strg Whl 1 (If Req'd)
26094767 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Canadian manuals) 1 (If Req'd)
88964588 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Export vehicles) 1 (If Req'd)
05694191 Ring, Strg Shf Lk Plt Ret 1 (If Req'd)

#6722 - 02/08/06 02:47 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
2KFRC5 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Thanks Bruce cool

#6723 - 02/08/06 03:53 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Everyone should keep in mind that notices won't go out for a week. So, don't bother calling the dealers right away. It usually takes some time for them to get parts, schedule time, etc. Be patient and the end looks to be in sight.

#6724 - 02/08/06 04:13 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
My CLB is working just fine, thank you!

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6725 - 02/08/06 08:56 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
CNS Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: PENSACOLA,FLORIDA
Guess I'm lucky-- my 2004 auto seems to be exempt from this mess. Can anyone explain why in 7 yrs the "brains" at GM couldnt remedy this??

#6726 - 02/08/06 10:52 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

2001-2004 autos didn't have the column lock.

#6727 - 02/09/06 08:52 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
litnrod Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Well...here is my two cents...and I am not happy.

I own a 99 mn6.

In Mar 05...The CL locked up on me as I was leaving a restaurant. Car undriveable. Had to leave it there, overnight. Rented a car. The next morning I had it towed to the Chevy dealer. All in all I spent $900 dollars getting this thing fixed, because the column lock was not covered in the first recall. And the first recall was already performed.

?????

I argued and argued with GM...they kept putting me off, until nonetheless I got frustrated and gave up...I imagine this is what good customer service is all about. Make them wait until they give up or it costs us money (our time).

Now, they 1 year later, when they knew there was a problem for the past 8 years.

Hmmmm...is it worth my effort to pursue this yet again?

Is my column lock going to fail?

Do I need to get the new recall done?

Thanks for any input.

1999 Torch Red C5 Coupe
K & N Dual Air intake, B&B Bullet, Michelin A/S Pilot Sport ZP, Black Z06 Rims

#6728 - 02/09/06 09:39 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
1999 White C5 Coupe Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CNS:
Guess I'm lucky-- my 2004 auto seems to be exempt from this mess. Can anyone explain why in 7 yrs the "brains" at GM couldnt remedy this??
Because GM / Chevrolet did not want to spend the time and money to repair or replace the defective column lock design used in the C5.

Many C5 drivers were stranded (including me while out-of-state) and I have no doubt many more would have been if the owner had not installed the bypass.

Remember - the column lock feature is a component that was included with the new car price. It is also an anti-theft device. GM's answer to the defect was to disconnect it for A4 C5's.

The entire C5 column lock design was too complicated, not thoroughly tested, and prone to failure.

#6729 - 02/09/06 01:28 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
gben Offline

Loc: ohio
Let's hope they get in touch with those of us who are second or third owners of our cars! I was going to buy a clb this spring so this is welcome news. Too bad they wouldn't admit to their error years ago!

'01' 6 spd my coupe/ Borla quad oval tip/ Blackwing Intake

#6730 - 02/09/06 01:57 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
2KFRC5 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by litnrod:
Hmmmm...is it worth my effort to pursue this yet again?
I would, as you've nothing to lose, and maybe upto $900 to gain. If you don't try, you'll never know.
cheers

#6731 - 02/09/06 02:06 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
clearman Offline

Loc: North Carolina
If you are not the original owner, you can register your car on the chevy website and they well then send you recall information.

#6732 - 02/09/06 03:08 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Hotwing Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Maryland
And the beat goes on, and on, and on.....And you wonder why people buy Mustangs and 350Zs. I have an 2004 A4 (which I love)and I still don't trust them....Its also my understanding that the replacement Delco battery that sit over the computer wiring harness is just as bad as the initial one... I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a new Vert for $63,244 PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!

#6733 - 02/09/06 03:21 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
CNS Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: PENSACOLA,FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwing:
And the beat goes on, and on, and on.....And you wonder why people buy Mustangs and 350Zs. I have an 2004 A4 (which I love)and I still don't trust them....Its also my understanding that the replacement Delco battery that sit over the computer wiring harness is just as bad as the initial one... I was at a dealer yesterday and they had a new Vert for $63,244 PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!
Is this true? The Delco battery in the 04 C-5'S is prone to leakage as well? Should it be replaced?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger