Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6734 - 02/09/06 04:07 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
Quote:
Originally posted by gben:
Let's hope they get in touch with those of us who are second or third owners of our cars! I was going to buy a clb this spring so this is welcome news. Too bad they wouldn't admit to their error years ago!
Register your car at https://www.mygmlink.com and you can view all open recall notices for your car.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6735 - 02/09/06 11:15 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
spdlvr Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wayne New Jersey
Hi Litnrod
the second time they did my column they charged me $400 and claim it was not covered. Called GM customer service and was like talking to a pole went to another dealer and told them what happened and they could not figure out why it happend again ,I have an A4 ,I went back to the original dealer and service manager could not explain why it happend again or why it was not covered so he contacted the zone rep and they agreed to refund me half the money .I took half because I felt I was fighting a losing battle .
Once this recall gets on the way I am going to try to get my other half .Good luck to you .

#6736 - 02/10/06 12:13 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
vette747 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Montreal
Quote:
Originally posted by Hotwing:
PLUS a $5,100 dealer perparation charge......Duh !!!!
$5,100 for preparation. Does it needs to be assemble as IKA furniture....

I drive a Vette or I stay home.
Visit my web site at: http://pages.videotron.com/vette747/

#6737 - 02/10/06 07:39 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
litnrod Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
spdlvr

thanks...for the encouragement.

I am getting new copies of my receipts today.

I am "david" and GM is "Goliath."

I don't think my chances are good...but I will fight the good fight.

Wish me luck.

1999 Torch Red C5 Coupe
K & N Dual Air intake, B&B Bullet, Michelin A/S Pilot Sport ZP, Black Z06 Rims

#6738 - 02/10/06 12:16 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Playin' Hooky Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hi, all!
I'm a little confused... if I had the ECL "fixed" on my '01 MN6 vert under the first recall, does this now mean I'll be called in again to completely remove the ECL assembly? Knock on wood, I've never had a problem with it, before or after the recall service was done. Should I expect a second recall?
THanks
Ted (aka Playin' Hooky)

#6739 - 02/10/06 04:22 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
gben Offline

Loc: ohio
Hey,thanks for the registration info guys. Just took care of it!

'01' 6 spd my coupe/ Borla quad oval tip/ Blackwing Intake

#6740 - 02/10/06 06:03 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
spdlvr Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wayne New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by litnrod:
spdlvr

thanks...for the encouragement.

I am getting new copies of my receipts today.

I am "david" and GM is "Goliath."

I don't think my chances are good...but I will fight the good fight.

Wish me luck.

#6741 - 02/10/06 08:26 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
dg99 Offline

Loc: S. Calif.
My '99 MN6, Column Lock failed a long time ago, just before the first formal GM Recall. I got them to pay me back for it, although it took 6 months to accomplish it. Then, when the recall was issued, they had to do it again as the first failure, they put in brand new defective parts. No charge for that one. That repair left something loose inside was making noise and the AC went on to full blast and couldn't be stopped, so they had to re-do that work again. Then, last year, was another recall which was also accomplished at no charge and whatever it was for. Then it locked up on me again here at work one night. I was able to get it unlocked and drive it home. Ordered, received and installed the bypass, no problems since. I welcome them issuing this last recall, if and when it really happens, to remove it totally once and for all.

#6742 - 02/11/06 07:54 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
If you already have the CLB installed your problems have been solved, so why give Mr. Goodwrench the chance to screw something else up. I installed my CLB before the last recall, so I never took my car in for that one, and I have no intention of going in for this one. hammer

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6743 - 02/11/06 05:40 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
dg99 Offline

Loc: S. Calif.
My thoughts on it are that if the pin itself is still there along with the mechanism for it to insert it, then it is a problem waiting to happen. The CLB has the pin retracted and is not allowing it to be commanded into the locking mechanism, but I'm thinking that there is nothing to prevent it from going in on its own. I would rather it be removed totally. I don't know how its constructed or what preventative measures are in place to keep it from going in on its own, but I would rather not chance it. Take the darn thing out totally and hope that GM does a better job in the future.

#6744 - 02/15/06 11:50 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rapidity Offline

Loc: Rocky Mount, NC
I am registered on https://www.mygmlink.com and have not seen anything about this recall yet. Any idea when it will show up?

#6745 - 02/15/06 01:10 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
I don't know how often that site is updated. Given that the mailing was only supposed to have started yesterday, and that it still isn't in dealer computers, I would think within a couple of weeks.

#6746 - 02/16/06 10:34 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
DOOMDRIVER Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I wonder how GM has decided to exclude Canada from its program - Canadians get the same recall as last time which is worthless or worse. Thanks Goodness I installed the CLB
01 Navy Explorer (4X4)
97 Grey Eagle Talon (mods)
93 Champaign Camry
98 black Camaro RS (mods) - sold

#6747 - 02/18/06 12:41 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Dan Argento Offline

Loc: Camarillo
Today I received a special Safety Recall letter. My story goes like this. I have a 2001 conv. In July of 2004 I experienced the steering column lock. Call Chevrolet and they flat bedded the car to the dealer and fixed the problem. I had no confedence it would not happen again so I purchased the Column bypass and installed it. For the last year I have been receiving card notices indication a Column Lock System recall has not been completed. I ignored them because I had installed the CB and read in the forum that there have been re-occurrance after Chevrolet fixed it the first time. Today The recall letter know explains that they will diable the column lock. That is interesting because that is what 80+% of us have already done ourselves. Any input on how to handle this letter? Should I write that I have diabled it myself so Chevrolet will close the books on my car and stop sending safety recall notices.

#6748 - 02/18/06 10:58 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
2KFRC5 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Central Calif. coast
OK, got my letter today. I'm wondering if everyone who got the letter stating: THIS IS NOT A RECALL, had the re-programming done on the 04006 Recall. I didn't, and still get notices. I am the original owner.

Below is the content of the letter I received: Bold is my emphasis.

SAFETY RECALL REMINDER
General Motors is very interested in your safety and continued satisfaction with your vehicle. Our records show that although your 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicle is subject to an important safety recall, the necessary repairs have not been made. Please follow the instructions below to address this important matter.

In addition, we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you that we've changed the repair procedure . To ensure that you will not experience a failure of the steering column to when you start your car, we will disable the steering column lock.

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2000 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems. When you turn your ignition switch to "lock", the system prevents turning of the steering system. When you start your vehicle, it unlocks the steering system. Your vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when you start your car, the fuel supply will be shut off if you try to move your vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked. If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

What Will Be Done: Your Chevrolet dealer will disable the steering column lock. However, PASS-Key and other anti-theft features will still be operational when you remove the ignition key. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

end of direct quote of letter

So now, I'm wondering whether or not, reprogramming of the PCM has anything to do with which letter you received.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger