Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6794 - 04/30/07 08:25 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
c5jon Offline

Loc: Houston
Is it easy to do it yourself, how long does it take?

#6795 - 04/30/07 11:11 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
Click here for illustrated instructions.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6796 - 05/01/07 06:59 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
c5jon Offline

Loc: Houston
Thanks again chewy, will order mine as soon as possible...but one thing, what does he mean under FAQ'S....

"however I now prefer the method where the car/key do the unlocking like normal. There is no greater chance of a cigarette adapter unlocking a stuck lock over just using the key.
"

He says "car/key"....so your alarm lock/unlock will still work right...?? just wanna make sure smile

#6797 - 05/01/07 07:25 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

The original CLB's available to be purchased included a cable that temporarily plugged into the lock on one end and the cigarette lighter on the other end. The purpose was to position the column lock pin into the unlocked position so you can install the CLB itself. It looks like he now preferrs to just let the car unlock the pin on its own. The alarm is not affected, the column lock is all that this gizmo will change.

Using a CLB, unlocking the pin is just the first thing you need to do, then unplugging it from the car makes sure it won't return to the locked position (no power = no movement), then connecting the CLB gizmo to the car fools the car into thinking that the lock is functioning properly.

For the dealer recall, they take apart the steering column and install a plate without any holes so the locking pin can't engage anything. Same effect, different method, but it's possible for the moving parts to still fail at a later date.

cheers

#6798 - 08/23/07 11:50 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
You Vetteya Offline

Loc: decatur, alabama
I drive a beautiful 2001 torch red coupe angel Does this mean that anytime a GM dealer fixes something it is absolutly fixed? : Has GM never installed a part that was defective out of the box? Has Mr. Goodwrench never made a mistake? Is it GM's contention that customer service is allowing a customer to drive out of the service department with a potentially crippling problem because they are to arrogant to admit the possibility of a mistake? :rolleyes: Is GM's mission statement "like it or Lump it"? Should GM's new slogan be "An American Revolution in Inept and Insulting "service"? I feel like my dealer shot my intelligence a bird! I know this post has gotten long, please forgive me, I need to vent. Is there another inroad to getting GM to take responsibility for this design flaw? Thanks for any info! Good Luck fellow Vette friends! cheers

#6799 - 08/24/07 10:33 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
After the original recall on the column lock I believe a second recall came out that was only for those cars that had completed the first one. The dealer here ended up replacing the wiring for my CL, at no cost to me. Low voltage from a weak battery can cause problems, so be sure to check that out.

If you can't get satisfaction localy then move up to the company level and talk with a GM service rep.

I'm sure others here can give you more specifics. Good luck and keep us posted. cheers

#6800 - 08/24/07 04:18 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
You Vetteya Offline

Loc: decatur, alabama
Thanks for the advice smokensparks! I appreciate your reply. I will do this. I will begin the search for a sympathetic service rep. Nice vert by the way. I don't see many c5's here in Alabama with the magnesium wheels. Hope you guys out in Nevada are not as miserably hot as we are in North Alabama right now!

#6801 - 08/24/07 07:03 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
carolina cajun Offline

Loc: Coastal NC
Friends...long time, no post. Its obvious by some of my previous posts that i know nothing about my sweet ride. Hell, I don't care. I have learned so much by reading this forum mostly on a daily basis..Mine is an '01 coupe.I'm in love with my car, but ready to divorce it...

I have just experienced my first "column lock." Happened in Raleigh last Tues. Car parked outside all day. 105 deg. temp. Started it after work, everything worked perfectly. Except, the steering wheel locked up. DIC says , pull key, wait 10 seconds...that didn't work. Friend says to disconnect the battery and wait a while. Then reconnect, blah-blah. It then worked fine. Same thing, same place the next day. Disc. battery, 1 hr. later i'm in business. Straight to the nearest dealer (stealer)...We had the original recall done 2 years ago here in town. Now the dealer says that recall wasn't part of whats happening now.

This new dealer says that our original recall has been done. Has there been another?? We were never notified if there was. The new dealer also says our problem was created by a "star" connector, and had corroded..

Now........how can a 40G+ car be disabled by a 50 cent go***m ... Is this what we all have to look forward to? Whats next? Is this lock-up going to happen again when i'm running out the country road ? Is GM so uncaring and cheap to put junk ass parts in our rides. I might could understand it in a GEO Metro or something, but, puhleeze...THESE ARE VETTES!!!!

Sorry for the long post, but i'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my sweet ride before I or my wife die behind the wheel..Ready to get a nice boat. and join you all in the class-action lawsuit..See you on the water cheers

#6802 - 08/25/07 10:31 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
http://www.c5registry.com/Technical/GMP0g.htm

This maybe what I was thinking of. Not sure if it helps.

#6803 - 09/14/07 01:22 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
redfred Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi All, new owner of a '99 and new column lock patsey. Mine was BCM lost some memory -- column locked up while moving -- GM directed me to Dealer -- Dealer fixed BCM and charged me -- GM says not covered due to problem cause. Still pursuing, and very interested in any class actions. If there are any other 'actual' fixes, I would be most greatful for the advice.
Thanks,
redfred

#6804 - 09/14/07 04:07 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Welcome cheers

#6805 - 09/14/07 06:02 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
redfred Offline

Thanks for the response, Chewy. I will be going back to get this disabled, and I had seen the note (and link) for the myGMlink registration and actually filled it out prior to my post. I had picked the car up from my Brother's estate and the GMlink will not give me any info until sending in a copy of the registration -- somehow the VIN is not in the system or they need proof of ownership. As soon as I'm able to, will check out the recall notices.
I really was able to start the car, pull completely out of a parking space -- turning the wheel 3/4 turn, and the column locked. I was not moving fast, however was in gear and under power. The car did not shut off and I just backed right back into the space (cockeyed at that time) without being able to turn the wheel. So I did not get far and didn't test it again to see if I would be able to go further. When the flatbed arrived everything was free (just like the instruction to pull the key and wait...), however I still had them take it to the Dealer GM sent me to.
I have read all the notes I could find on this, and you're right -- no one really mentions being able to move the wheel first. I swear (more now since this happened and when it happened) that it did happen just as stated above. Do I have an exceptionally strange car? Love the car -- not the issue.
Thanks again for your help.

#6806 - 09/20/07 09:36 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
redfred Offline

UPDATE
BCM has been replaced --- no new issues with the column for the last three days and 18 combined starts. Hope that takes care of it for at least the immediate future.
thumbsup

#6807 - 09/16/08 05:11 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
wyatt Offline

Loc: Lexington nc.
I have a 2000 six speed with 20000 miles.In 07 it had the recall performed for the colum lock.Today the service colum lock code came on and the car is undriveable,i have had the car for three weeks.Has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix.

#6808 - 09/16/08 09:43 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Welcome to the forum cheers

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger