Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6824 - 06/21/10 06:19 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
jrose7004 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Nope, it still needs the column lock bypass.

#6825 - 06/21/10 06:21 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Check the condition of the battery? Put it on a charger check the tightness of the cables at the battery terminals

#6826 - 06/21/10 08:15 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
The recall installed a plate without holes, so the pin physically can't lock into anything. The 'service column lock' alarm is due to the computer thinking something is wrong with the motor that moves the pin. Installing the bypass should get rid of that problem.

In order to be certain that alarm is what's causing the car to shut off you need to post the codes from the DIC, but that's probably it.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6827 - 06/21/10 08:18 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
jnlitz Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Canton Ohio
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I should have the CLB tomorrow or Wednesday so I'll plan on having that done while it's in the shop. I was also thinking about the battery, although it looks brand new and connection feel tight, but it does have some years on it even if not miles. The gauge always reads plenty of power and never had an issue starting, but I know a weak battery can cause some goofy problems. Many of you suggest the red top so I'll check into that. I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow (this should be fun). I'll post back what happens.

Thanks

Jeff

#6828 - 06/21/10 11:51 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
Could this be corrected under the original recall or is there a time limit?

#6829 - 06/22/10 09:07 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Speaking of column lock here's a great explination
posted by C4C5 over on corvettemechanics.com. It's pretty long(30 min)but worth watching.

http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/4479-column-lock-depth-explaination.html

thumbsup

#6830 - 06/22/10 10:53 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
jnlitz Offline
Full Throttle Member

Well I've just been taken to the cleaners by my local chevy dealer. I had to have the car towed there yesterday, and I had the CLB in hand and they would not install it because it wasn't a GM part. They replaced the (what ever it's called mechanism) for $430. Gave me a 15% discount, I'm convinced the $50 CLB would have solved the problem but without incurring additional towing and diagnosis and labor I was screwed. They said it would solve the issue but it probably wasn't a bad idea to have the CLB installed. The car has 8,000 miles on it, I'm totally PO'd.

Thanks for your help guys, I felt trapped, when the car won't move it takes a lot of service options out of my hands. I'll have the CLB installed Friday by someone I can trust and hopefully not worry about it again and chalk it up to GM crap.

Do you think there is any recourse in calling a regional rep or who ever at GM?

Jeff

#6831 - 06/22/10 12:08 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
jrose7004 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
That's the main reason that they're call "Stealerships!"

#6832 - 06/22/10 06:35 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Did you authorize them to do the work, or just ask them to figure out what was wrong?

If the recall had already been done, and that's the part that failed, you may have a legit claim.

#6833 - 06/23/10 07:49 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
jnlitz Offline
Full Throttle Member

Yes I authorized them to do the work, the car wouldn't move. I did call customer service and they were basically no help, no surprise there. I'll be sending a letter to Mr. Whitacre, and explain how pleased I am with his customer service and the "new GM" The recall that was done was to put a plate or change the plate that would enable the pin that locked the steering wheel. This item that failed was the solenoid or some sort of electrical switching mechanism, the switch that the CLB will by pass. Read lots of sights yesterday where the cars are being returned two and three times for the same thing and dealers are charging, not good pr. I don't hold my breath for any satisfaction of any kind.

I'll have the CLB installed this week and that should put an end to that issue. Repairs are one thing but being stranded is not acceptable.

Jeff

#6834 - 06/23/10 10:04 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

jnlitz, you really need to track down a real honest Vette mechanic in your area. Check local club(s) to see who they use as a starting point.

#6835 - 06/23/10 07:12 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Sorry to hear you got soaked Jeff. I admire your attitude about it. Live and learn and find a trustworthy pro to deal with as Bubba Sparks rightly suggests.
Bubba Sparks thank you for C4-C5 vid that explains the issue. I haven't installed a by pass. I had the locking plate(A4) removed but only had the issue early on in my C5 and it was clearly a low battery.
Why add the CLB when it can create an issue with the BCM?
Keep your battery charged and terminals tight and your Corvette on the road. Leave the CLB on the shelf. Just my opinion and I wish you luck with that cherry Corvette savewave

#6836 - 07/25/10 12:15 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
My 1998 6M seems to have finally succumbed to the lock problem, Turn the key, get the "remove key and wait 10 secs" message. Do that and then get a Service Column Lock message. Car starts and can be moved, but the column is locked.

From reading the posts it seems there is a recall out there to essentially disable the lock. Am I correct?

Thanks, RogerD.

p.s. been a long time since I was here - building a house can be a long process, plus the car has behaved itself of late - until today!

#6837 - 07/25/10 02:32 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

They remove the plate that the pin goes in so it can't lock, but the electronics can still fail. Click here for the recall info.

If it were me, I'd try to unlock it (jerk the wheel back and forth HARD for a few minutes) and put in a CLB . Note: the clb can NOT be installed while the column is locked.

If you do go with the dealer installed plate, call them before having the car towed, they may give you a hastle (which I would interpret as "We don't need your business, please go to our competition.")

cheers

#6838 - 07/25/10 03:40 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
Thanks, Chewy.

I was surprised that no codes were set by this problem. The only codes on the car are the usual history codes relating to loss of communications to the door locks. In my experience, these seem to be there pretty much all the time.

Maybe living nowadays as I do in an area still reeling from the recession (nobody buying new cars), the dealership will want business - even if it a recall.

I'll call them tomorrow and post the results.

What was a bit scary about the whole thing, was that the car had started fine, and I was out of the garage before everything turned to s*** and I realized the column had locked, yet it still ran.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger