Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6839 - 07/28/10 03:01 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
After a prolonged go around with GM and the local dealer, the following seems to be the case:

1. There was a special policy adjustment, which expired in 2008 whereby GM would pay for the lock out plates to be installed.

2. The local dealer had never seen the "C" version of the recall, referred to in this discussion.

I am still waiting for a call back from GM customer service, who had initially told me and the dealer that the work was "covered".

When the dealer looked up my car their reaction was that the recall had been done and their were no open recalls. That's because their systems only show recall 04006, no tracking of the B and C versions. The dealer told me that since these were policy adjustments, not recalls, I would not have been notified - even tho' the doc is headed "Safety Recall".

Not impressed - not with the dealer who seems pretty straightforward, but with GM - either the new GM or the old GM.

Btw, I did try without success yanking on the wheel to get things to come free - gave up after a ton of attempts, and a ton of "remove key wait 10 secs" iterations as well.

#6840 - 07/28/10 05:50 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
First off, if the recall had been PROPERLY done on your car, IT WOULDN'T BE LOCKED, PERIOD hammer

I hate telling you to go elsewhere, but post a new topic at CorvetteMechanic.com and ask what you need to say to your dealer to get them to honor the recall. Many of the guys over there are actual dealer service techs, so they should know what the magic phrase you need to say is. It may just be as simple as giving your dealer the proper 'codes' to punch in on the 'who pays for it' line.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6841 - 08/16/10 03:07 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

OK, fix is at hand. I had called GM customer care people and finally after many conversations and escalation to various layers of management, as of today they agreed to (in their words) "extend the special policy adjustment to cover my car". The dealer called and they are ready to take it in. Their hang up was that Chevrolet showed no outstanding recalls, therefore they had nothing to charge the work to, and Chevy needed to authorize the work. And the B and C "recalls" were not recalls as such, so no records in the system.

So, I go out to my garage - the car has been sitting for a few weeks - and put it on charge. I also had to retrain a fob - new battery. Put key in, turned it, and THUNK - column unlocks.

Can't tell you how many times I had tried the pull the key wait ten seconds game. I can only assume that with the charger doing its job, there were a couple more volts in the system.

Having had these two unexpected pieces of luck, I am not doing any else risky today, just in case the gods want to get even.....

Btw, Chewy, the first recall was only to check that everything was working properly, and the lock was not snagging anywhere - and for a couple years since this was done, it has been fine. The "C" "special policy" is the one that disables the lock completely. Sucky way to fix anything, imho, but I guess they could not get a reliable fix.

#6842 - 09/01/10 03:59 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Hallelujah! Finally got the car back from the dealer, with the "C" special recall done for free. Been off the road since July 25. It took until August 16 to get GM to agree to pay, and the rest of the time waiting for them to find the parts needed. Apparently there are none in the parts supply chain anywhere.

Lesson #1: If you want GM to fix it for free, they will. Provided you escalate and can quote chapter and verse of the "special policy" (many thanks to the person who posted it on this board) and complain that this is a real safety issue. In my case I emphasized that I had a car that would drive, but not steer and that seemed to me to be downright dangerous. I pointed out that I had come out of my garage, then tried to steer down my driveway, then found I had no steering.

Lesson #2: If you have an affected vehicle and the recall has not been done, start with GM customer service to try to get them to do it for free; the dealers will not help you, and the parts seem to be in very short supply. Another year or so, there probably won't be any.

#6843 - 09/01/10 04:52 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

I'm glad you got it fixed savewave

#6844 - 10/07/10 12:21 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
lilmattie1224 Offline
Engine Warming Up

Loc: Seattle, WA
hit this little "service column lock" problem 2 weeks ago at midnight at the gas station. was there for over 4 hours trying to reset codes, check fuses, etc until i finally gave up and called in for a tow to the dealer. luckily the warranty saved my rear from the bill on that one smile

#6845 - 10/07/10 09:13 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
Quote:
Originally posted by lilmattie1224:
hit this little "service column lock" problem 2 weeks ago at midnight at the gas station. was there for over 4 hours trying to reset codes, check fuses, etc until i finally gave up and called in for a tow to the dealer. luckily the warranty saved my rear from the bill on that one smile
What was done to fix the problem?

#6846 - 10/07/10 08:45 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
lilmattie1224 Offline
Engine Warming Up

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have no idea...i just left it at the dealer and picked it up 2 days later. They never really said. I was reading about it and figured it was probably just the recall problem for that model with the column lock.

#6847 - 10/08/10 07:34 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmattie1224:
I have no idea...i just left it at the dealer and picked it up 2 days later. They never really said. I was reading about it and figured it was probably just the recall problem for that model with the column lock.
Does your steering wheel lock in place now? (with car off)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger