Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6749 - 02/19/06 09:54 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
I got the same letter yesterday. The last recall work was completed, I have the documentation, so I don't know why they say it wasn't. Maybe because it didn't work?

#6750 - 02/19/06 01:08 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Dan Argento Offline

Loc: Camarillo
Dan, I beleive you are correct. All attempts to fix this CL problem have failed. Since this is a safety issue, the fix must be 100%. Since Chevrolet was not able to 100% fix it, they are issuing a new recall that completely disables the CL system. You can be sure Chevrolet monitors the C5 Fourm and knows that the CLB has been 100% effective. Since most of us have already completed our own CLB installation and I don't think Chevrolet will get a large response to this latest recall.

#6751 - 02/19/06 05:10 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
glassman Offline

Loc: Owensboro, KY
I hope this column lock issue will be resolved soon. I have the dreaded "column lock service" and "pull key wait 10 seconds" msgs. My column has never locked and the recall was done by the dealer. My problem is that my car will not move. The bcm shuts me down every time I move the car. I have tried everything suggested on every forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My car has not been movable in over 3 mos. Help..

#6752 - 02/19/06 06:49 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
Quote:
Originally posted by glassman:
I hope this column lock issue will be resolved soon. I have the dreaded "column lock service" and "pull key wait 10 seconds" msgs. My column has never locked and the recall was done by the dealer. My problem is that my car will not move. The bcm shuts me down every time I move the car. I have tried everything suggested on every forum. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My car has not been movable in over 3 mos. Help..
Call your local dealer and ask for a free tow to the dealership in order to do the latest recall, I can't see how they can refuse now that GM admits that the lock needs to be removed.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck savewave

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6753 - 02/20/06 10:56 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

I agree with Chewy. It really is their problem.

Welcome to the forum! savewave

#6754 - 02/20/06 09:40 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
rogerd Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Wild and Wonderful WV
My MN6 went thru the recall last year. The letter I have in front of me (dated Feb 2006) says "this is not a recall", but definitely says that if I have a problem thru 2/29/2008 they will fix it at no charge.

Since I never had a problem before the recall and have not had one since, I am not overly excited....

#6755 - 02/20/06 11:14 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
That's odd. Mine says "Safety Recall Notice" on the envelope and at the head of the letter.

#6756 - 02/21/06 12:12 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Chewy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: North Augusta, SC
OK, my letter also says "safety recall notice" on the envelope and "safety recall reminder" on the letter. Here's a question, for those of you who took your car in for the last recall, does the letter say it is or isn't a recall notice? And for those of you who didn't take your car in, do any of your letters say anything but safety recall?

I think the letters are recall 'reminders' for those of us who never had the last recall done, and an attempt by GM to CYA for the people who had the 'this will solve the problem' recall done.

Current: 2012 Centennial Edition GS Coupe w/3LT & NPP mods list

#6757 - 02/21/06 10:00 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
litnrod Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
ok,

just an update on my situation...briefly...

column locked up last march. $500 later...I have a new "column lock motor".

Now they issue the new recall. So, I gather my receipts and call up GM customer service. I mean customer "deferrment" department.

I explained to them that I paid $500 to fix a problem, that now is going to be completely disenabled. Why did I fix it? I asked.

I don't know, sir. Let me put you on hold for 5 min to investigate this further.

So.....Here is the rest of the conversation.

"We started a project for you."

Here is your Confirmation number.

We cannot do anything yet, as you have not received your notice of the new recall.

When you receive it, and have the new recall performed, we can then evaluate the possibility of some reimbursement for money spent back in march.

Hopefully, this will all take place in 90 days otherwise we will have to open a new file.

Thanks.

End phone call.

So, here we go again...the great run-around I abandoned last year because I spent way too much time on the phone with these people.

1999 Torch Red C5 Coupe
K & N Dual Air intake, B&B Bullet, Michelin A/S Pilot Sport ZP, Black Z06 Rims

#6758 - 02/21/06 10:01 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Looking at my letter again and it says Safety Recall Notice on the envelope. The letter says Safety Recall Reminder. I had the recall done in August 2004 and still have the paperwork. Is GM that screwed up?

#6759 - 02/21/06 11:22 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

litnrod,
FWIW, there is a reimbursment form included with the letter I received.

#6760 - 02/21/06 11:23 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
BruceF Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokensparks:
Looking at my letter again and it says Safety Recall Notice on the envelope. The letter says Safety Recall Reminder. I had the recall done in August 2004 and still have the paperwork. Is GM that screwed up?
This recall is different for the M6 than the previous two recalls. I'm not sure what you are asking.

#6761 - 02/21/06 06:03 PM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
gben Offline

Loc: ohio
Letter arrived today and return address is Recall Processing Center. In bold face on second page is THIS IS NOT A RECALL. Do not take your vehicle to your chevy dealer as a result of this letter unless I believe my car has this condition.Goes on to state that GM is providing me with additional protection in the event my column fails to unlock.This will be in effect until 2/29/08 and will be at no charge to me as long as a GM dealer does the repair. Tells me to hold on to this letter for future reference.

'01' 6 spd my coupe/ Borla quad oval tip/ Blackwing Intake

#6762 - 02/22/06 09:48 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceF:
[/qb]
This recall is different for the M6 than the previous two recalls. I'm not sure what you are asking. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I guess I was wondering what the difference is in the two recalls for the MN6? confused

#6763 - 02/22/06 10:30 AM Re: Column Lock, finally gone????
1999 White C5 Coupe Offline

Here is a link to the PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL bulletin #04006C and consumer letter (30 pages in PDF format):

http://corvetteforum.net/c5/kenfichtner//special_policy_adjustment_column_lock.pdf

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Shag Finger