Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92746 - 01/09/08 02:50 PM Need Help!
bados Offline

Loc: South Florida
I'm going to be doing a Corvette show in 2 weeks, so I have to prepare my car for judging. Anyone know how to clean the hood liner/insulator so it looks like new. Mine is dirty and dusty. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2001 Corvette Convertible, Navy Blue Metalic, Grey Interior, White Top, Automatic, Z51, Performance Axle Ratio 3:15, Borla X Pipe, Borla Quad 4" Stingers, Blackwing, Tuned and all the bells and whistles.

2003 Ford Thunderbird Convertible, White, Black Hard top, Red/Black Interior

#92747 - 01/09/08 03:11 PM Re: Need Help!
MiCorvette-Tool guy Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Michigan
What I do it vacuum it with one of those brush attachments. It is gentle enough and then do not rub too hard.

I have also wet a towel and gently wiped places.

I think this is a tough one since these things are relatively fragile and can come apart easily.

hammer
1998 Six Speed, Torch Red Coupe - K&N CAI, Vararam Velocity Stack, Z06 exhaust, Z06 sway bars, Z06 intake, C6 Z06 shifter, stainless steel brake lines, Z06 shocks, Borla X pipe, drilled/slotted rotors. Dyno'ed at 330 RWHP & 340 RWTQ.

#92748 - 01/09/08 04:01 PM Re: Need Help!
jrose7004 Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
If it's really bad and what Todd said doesn't work you may have to remove it and spray paint it with a rattle can flat black.

#92749 - 01/10/08 09:17 AM Re: Need Help!
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
I used Resolve carpet foam and a extremely soft brush on mine, then vaccumed as Todd suggests. Worked okay, but you do have to be very gentle. Good luck.

#92750 - 01/10/08 01:58 PM Re: Need Help!
bados Offline

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I'll give them a try. Big show down here in So. Florida on January 19 in Boca Raton. It's called "Reflections in Glass." Huge Corvette show.
2001 Corvette Convertible, Navy Blue Metalic, Grey Interior, White Top, Automatic, Z51, Performance Axle Ratio 3:15, Borla X Pipe, Borla Quad 4" Stingers, Blackwing, Tuned and all the bells and whistles.

#92751 - 01/10/08 11:22 PM Re: Need Help!
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I blow mine off with a leaf blower then gentle rinse without ever touching it. Clean is the deal at shows. Detail the engine first then clean everywhere. I spray tire dressing on all of the rubber wheel wells and air dams then a little bit of dilectic grease on the weatherstrip. Z5 and Z6 zanio and snag the blue ribbon top flight.Good Luck it will be great fun

#92752 - 01/11/08 01:42 PM Re: Need Help!
bados Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leadfoot:
I blow mine off with a leaf blower then gentle rinse without ever touching it. Clean is the deal at shows. Detail the engine first then clean everywhere. I spray tire dressing on all of the rubber wheel wells and air dams then a little bit of dilectic grease on the weatherstrip. Z5 and Z6 zanio and snag the blue ribbon top flight.Good Luck it will be great fun
Thanks leadfoot. I've done many of these shows in the past. One very import thing you forgot to mention! The cigarette lighter. I once had a '69 roadster and was at a Corvette show. I had a guy next to me who tied me in points. The judges went to the cigarette lighter to see who had the cleaner one. Yep, I won.

#92753 - 01/11/08 01:59 PM Re: Need Help!
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I showed my buddies 73 at Bloomington last summer BENCHMARK !!!
What a show that is. This car was worthy the paint is incredible and the judges did not believe it was original because of the zanio shine.
Only 3 BENCHMARK cars for the whole field.

#92754 - 01/12/08 09:18 AM Re: Need Help!
bados Offline

Doing those show are a lot of preparation and hard work. The worst possible scenio is that you lose, but go home with a nice clean Vette. You meat a lot of great people who all have the same thing in common. Last year when I did the show, I left for a few minutes to take a leak. When I got back, I found a woman sitting in my car. I was speechless and as the cigar dropped from my mouth, she asked, "Are all this cars for sale?" The judge was one car away, but gave me a few minutes to vaccum up. Some people! This year, when I step away from the car, I'll lock it.

#92755 - 01/16/08 10:30 AM Re: Need Help!
bados Offline

First try and vaccum the liner. If that doesn't work try the following:

This works like a miracle.

1. Cover your engine and painted parts.
2. Then spray "409" directly over the dust that's lodged in the liner.
3. Wait one minute, then very gently dab a clean, wet, wrung out sponge over the area.
4. Wait 1/2 hour and vaccum.

Results...like new.

#92756 - 01/17/08 12:06 PM Re: Need Help!
myklouie Offline

Loc: Sammamish, WA
Have it recovered in suede or Alcantara. smile

#92757 - 01/18/08 03:18 PM Re: Need Help!
bados Offline

Damn, once the spots dry, it comes back. When it's wet, it disappears. Now that's weird!

#92758 - 01/28/08 11:54 PM Re: Need Help!
Cannon Offline

Loc: Wagoner, OK
Quote:
What is dilectic grease???
Cannon

#92759 - 01/29/08 09:33 AM Re: Need Help!
Smokensparks Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Never Never Land
Quote:
Originally posted by Cannon:
Quote:
[b] I blow mine off with a leaf blower then gentle rinse without ever touching it. Clean is the deal at shows. Detail the engine first then clean everywhere. I spray tire dressing on all of the rubber wheel wells and air dams then a little bit of dilectic grease on the weatherstrip. Z5 and Z6 zanio and snag the blue ribbon top flight.Good Luck it will be great fun
What is dilectic grease???
Cannon [/b]
It's a dressing that everyone should especially use on weather stripping. Good Stuff. You can find it in about every auto parts store. thumbsup

#92760 - 01/29/08 07:17 PM Re: Need Help!
Cannon Offline

Loc: Wagoner, OK
I will call tomorrow. Is it a liquid or a grease like prep?
Cannon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift, Shag Finger