Click here to
show your support
for the NCM
and C5Forum.

Home Discussion Forums Do It Yourself Articles About Your Corvette About This Site

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93457 - 10/02/08 02:58 PM "clay bar " in a bottle
Playin' Hooky Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hi all!

Just wondering if anybody out there has tried "clay bar" in a bottle from Turtle Wax? I've got 2 real bars from Zaino, but don't have the nerve to use them on my '01 black 'vert for fear I might under-lubricate and mess up the finish.

Thanks
Ted

#93458 - 10/02/08 06:19 PM Re: "clay bar " in a bottle
leadfoot Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
No problem with the zanio bars you wont screw up. I use the zanio detail spray to keep things slidin

#93459 - 10/07/08 07:31 AM Re: "clay bar " in a bottle
hcvone Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvani...
Ted, do not be afraid to use the Zaino clay, just mix up 1 capful of Z-7 Car Wash to 16 ozs of water in a spray bottle. On a clean car spray the lube and wet the area your are doing very well, keep the lube in one hand and the clay in the other and just keep the surface you are working on well lubed, do not use too much pressure and do not drop the clay and you will be fine. On the top surfaces go bumper to bumper for the direction, and on the side of the car go up and down, just do not want top use circular motions. Just take your time and you will be fine

Huntingdon Valley, PA.

www.hcvind.com

#93460 - 10/07/08 09:27 AM Re: "clay bar " in a bottle
Playin' Hooky Offline

Thanks for the replies, Leadfoot and Carl. How much of an area do I work at one time, Carl? Also, I guess based on the amount of "gunk" that comes off, that will determine how often the clay has to be kneaded in order to keep the working surface clean...right? Sounds similar to applying Zaino, direction-wise.

#93461 - 10/13/08 07:34 AM Re: "clay bar " in a bottle
hcvone Offline
Full Throttle Member

Loc: Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvani...
Quote:
Originally posted by Playin' Hooky:
Thanks for the replies, Leadfoot and Carl. How much of an area do I work at one time, Carl? Also, I guess based on the amount of "gunk" that comes off, that will determine how often the clay has to be kneaded in order to keep the working surface clean...right? Sounds similar to applying Zaino, direction-wise.
Yes you would want to use the clay in the same direction as you would apply Zaino waxes. In the shade or garage you can do the whole car, that is what I do, the most dirt and debris will be from the rear bumper and behind the wheel wells. Most Vette's I do I just need to flip the clay bar once because they usually do not have that much buildup and debris on the surface, watch the leading edge of the clay, as it picks up dirt it will turn a brownish black, it's time to turn the clay bar at that point and use the other edge, at that point keep your eye on the clay bar for color change, you may need to knead the clay at that point for another clean surface, and do not drop the clay bar. wink

Huntingdon Valley, PA.

www.hcvind.com

#93462 - 10/13/08 01:34 PM Re: "clay bar " in a bottle
Playin' Hooky Offline

Great info - thanks Carl!

Moderator:  BruceF, hcvone, J.B., Redshift, Shag Finger